London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
6 messages
07/04/2014 at 10:10

i've done it again, shouldn't be allowed out, bought osmanthus burkwoodii and viburnum bodnantense dawn yesterday yes i did look at height and spread but they were so cheap thought i'd manage to find them a home... the places i'm thinking of has snowdrops tulips aquilegias and hellebores would they survive under either of these shrubs and could i keep them just a little less wide than predicted spread by pruning?

07/04/2014 at 10:50

Hellebores, snowdrops and aquilegias will be happy under the viburnum as long as they have head room. The osmanthus, being evergreen might  make it too dark and dry.

07/04/2014 at 13:08

thanks nut my rough drawn design being redone for 50th time! how far away would osmanthus need to be planted away from jasmine?may widen end of bed to accommodate and it may help disguise leggy 3feet of jasmine. on north facing fence would it be ok? reaad it would take partial shade

07/04/2014 at 13:48

Goodness rosemummy, I'm not the person to ask about planting distances

But I do have an osmanthus probably burkwoodii flowering in some shade.

07/04/2014 at 14:07

I planted an Osmanthus last autumn in one of my raised beds which is North West facing. I've got a few bits and pieces in front of it - crocus, primulas and Tiarella. It will get some sun late afternoon even at this time of year. It's flowering well and looks happy enough - for now anyway.  If it outgrows the space or stops thriving I'll just remove it and relocate. Think I'd give it at least a couple of feet from the jasmine if you have the room.

08/04/2014 at 08:28

thanks fairy i've got room to give it 2 feet so i''ll get it in this week

email image
6 messages