Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Parthenocissus quinquefolia and Clematis

Hi,

Since 2 years at our new house we have a Parthenocissus quinquefolia (known also as a Virginia creeper) growing on a Pergola.  Although come late Summer the leaves start to change to a lovely red I was considering 'brightening it up' in Spring time with an early flowering Clematis (or 2).  Can I do this, will it damage or strangle the Parthenocissus quinquefolia?  Any advice/experience would be muchly appreciated..Tks.

• Possum3Possum3 Posts: 19

Just to add to this question, our Virginia creeper has unfortunately been stricken with a 'Rust' problem which we have been spraying for the last 2 years.  Don't know how this could or would affect the Clematis.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I wouldn't normally plant virginia creeper on a pergola unless it's a very, very big sturdy one - they're more suited to house walls Possum because they get very big. The clematis wouldn't get a look in  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Thanks Fairygirl.  The pergola is very, very strongly built, but I understand your point. I thought of training the clematis just around the outside of the pergola whilst the creeper is growing to cover the inner pergola area and provide protection from the sun (south side).

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I expect you could keep the creeper well clipped to contain it but I think you'd give yourself a lot of maintenance trying to have Clematis as well in the same spot. Could you add a bit onto the pergola in some way or have a structure nearby to allow you to have your Clematis? A montana type might be able to compete but they get big too so that might not suit you either. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Thanks for your advice.  I was trying to do this myself but as we have a gardener coming shortly to do some landscaping I may ask him where else I could put it, for years I have wanted a Clematis so would really like to find the most appropriate place for him/her.  Again, thanks.image