London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
9 messages
17/04/2013 at 13:18

Hello 

Any ideas how we could remove our unsightly concrete patio at the back of our house? I suspect the previous owners filled it to level the garden (previously you would have had to step up to the lawn), but years on, it's cracked, mossy and really ugly. 
t's about 9ft X 3ft. 

How would we remove this concrete? Who should we ask? Is it a big job?
Some photos are posted below

Thanks in advance

http://s2.postimg.org/vfx53132d/photo_1.jpg

17/04/2013 at 13:21

Here's another photo... uploading feature doesn't seem to work

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22202.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22203.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

17/04/2013 at 13:57

Once it's removed, what are your plans for the area ?

Me personally, wouldn't even remove it. Rather, I'd deck over the top of it - probably cheaper and a lot easier. Or, cement some nice slabs/stones...

17/04/2013 at 14:15

Ditto! Covering it would be simpler.

But deck isn't so good if it's a bit shady so nice paving might be better.

17/04/2013 at 15:56

Placing it in the right  position and keeping it non slippy is the key Brum. I used to just scrub mine  with soapy water(& a small bit of bleach if it's not next to planting) and it was treated with a clear deck preserver, but if it's put in the wrong place to start with (like at my last house!) it can be dangerous. We had a bit at the back door which was our main entrance and it was northfacing and never had any sun to speak of. All the water ran into it and it wasn't laid properly so the water didn't drain off the way it should. Lethal! In the right place it's quite easy to maintain.

17/04/2013 at 16:30

I think my builder used a jack hammer to break up a large area of cracked concrete and used it as a base for fake york stone slabs.

17/04/2013 at 19:44

A sledgehammer and pick axe are the tools you need if doing it yourself.  You smash the sledgehammer down has hard as you can, about 6 inches in from an edge, hope it cracks and use the pick axe to lever the broken pieces out.  Eventually you will be rid of it.  That's how a builder would do it if they didn't have powered tools.  I can tell you from personal experience that doing it that way is very hard work!  Before you even consider doing that, dig down at the side to see how thick it is.  If over 6", it'll take a pneumatic jack hammer to break it up.

17/04/2013 at 21:19

Am not the biggest fan of decking but it would be the easiest and cheapest option. Laying slabs or tiles might be difficult if it is not level or odd shaped. Decking covers a multitude of sins. Nice decking in a small area would not cost more than a few hindred pounds and would be a nice place to sit and walk out to.

17/04/2013 at 23:42

You are all assuming that removing this will not damage the house.

From what I can see the slab goes into the wall, all be it only a slab, but need to check house. I think I would go for decking, you could extend it to cover that little circular thing as well and make an extended feature

email image
9 messages