London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
21 to 40 of 49 messages
09/04/2013 at 18:57

I agree Verdun.  That is a lovely.  I'm envious.

09/04/2013 at 19:28

..gosh,  thank you so much and I'm so glad you like it...

no Verdun, I don't grow fruit and veg now apart from tomato's- lots of fruit in the past in bigger garden than here... love apple trees and berry fruits...  not a veg grower really... know next to nothing about that...which is a pity, we miss so much there I think... but I must have flowers and shrubs... and we have to manage what we can at various stages of life, don't we...? 

I believe you live in Cornwall - forgive if wrong but maybe read that somewhere.  I used to live there too - had this lovely rose garden, which is unusual for Cornwall.  Here's a photo from yesteryear but it's all been dug up now... I still have fond memories of my time there..  but we have to move on...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/21201.jpg?width=521&height=350&mode=max

09/04/2013 at 19:36
Salino, yep Cornishman though n through with a little bit of Aussie.
You're a real star Salino because you're right...roses just don't grow well in Cornwall. But you've done it to perfection.
I've tried roses but they all failed on me. Shame...I would love a rose garden
What part of Cornwall is that?
Must be inland a bit......maybe mullion way?
09/04/2013 at 19:53

Verdun-are you part kangaroo ...might have to start calling you Skippy 

Salino (and Verd)- I'm ashamed to admit -although they grow well in Scotland-I don't like roses , but I do like climbers and ramblers so your pic appealed to me Salino! As you say, our lives change as we go along and we have to adapt. I expect you really miss your roses- you sounded quite sad about not having them. They obviously meant a huge amount to you. 

Your pix are lovely Salino and they can't take your memories  from you 

09/04/2013 at 19:54

Both those photographs are fabulous, Saliino. Those are really well-grown plants.

09/04/2013 at 20:28

..thank you GG , and all so much, once again...

hi Verdun,

no, I lived in the St Austell area, right near the coast but I was lucky in having a small river running along one border with a high natural hedge, willow, elder, hawthorn.  It sheltered from the S.W. gales which was important I think.  Just as well, as being in that region the soil about 6 inches below the top was pure white china clay, the most awful stuff to dig, I was amazed anything grew in it.   I covered the lot with chipped bark...

..it was a good sized garden, I had dozens of roses, old and new... plus a fuit and veg plot but my late mother did that...

you're very lucky to still be there in Cornwall, it's such a great place for plants, no need to worry about being hardy... that's what I liked about it, grow more or less what you want and lovely Rhododendrons.  I had a 'King George', it was beautiful and one of my very favourite plants I think...  can't grow it here...

Fairygirl,

hello, and thank you.   Yes it does have fond memories, and I apologise if this is a little morbid but I have the same photo taken with my late Mum standing underneath.  She lived in my house and loved roses.  She was dying of cancer at the time, this was 1992, so yes it is very touching...  she tended the fruit and veg, loved blackcurrant bushes and spuds...you know that sort of thing... she had her own little garden there, which I prepared for her to be easy to manage....

those are old fashioned roses by the way.  The red one is 'Alexandre Girault' a rambler and the pretty pink is an old Bourbon ''Mme Lauriol de Barny''... and Iceberg roses each side of the archway forming hedges, just see one of them to the left there...

..it was hard work, a lot to manage, but I loved it all and was blessed with good weather mostly, during those summers, which is another surprise for Cornwall

the west coast of Scotland is nice, I've been there.  Gardens at Inverewe and Logan Botanic, I loved those very much...

09/04/2013 at 20:45

Salino-it's obvious how much it meant to you. Isn't this what gardening is all about? We have different likes and dislikes but we can respect other peoples choices and often the plants we choose are related to something meaningful in our lives. The old roses I do like as they seem to have more character and look like crushed velvet and silk.

How lovely that you have lots of photos to look at and treasure 

09/04/2013 at 20:49

Salino, what a lovely garden

09/04/2013 at 21:10

^thank you so much, I'm so glad you like it

Fairygirl,

yes I agree very much with what you say there... also it's very therapeutic isn't it? I was a carer at the time for my ill mother and, well, as you probably know watching someone go like that, gradually, is rather a grim death watch I'm afraid, and gardening was a great distractor for us both.  My mum gardened right up till about 3 months before she went... it meant as much to her, she had tended gardens all her life from the 1930's... we had to keep going otherwise you go mad really...

her other favourite plants were Pittosporum's, so I always grow those wherever I live...

lovely to talk to you all...

09/04/2013 at 22:39
That was a sad time Salino. Had to watch my young sister suffer over 18 months..go from vibrant young 30 to death at 32. A roller coaster of emotions. Yep, you keep going or you go mad. I have plants in the garden she liked too for flowers or scent. Can't grow roses..as I said....but I tried desperately to keep one called Happy Child ..lovely scented yellow and the name because of the 2 children she left behind.
We need to look forward but to remember those in the past too.
Nice talking to you Salino
09/04/2013 at 22:51

..oh my goodness, how shocking..so young..!   I'm so very sorry...

do you have a favourite plant, one above all others? an impossible question I know... but perhaps you'll tell us tomorrow....

09/04/2013 at 23:08

Therapeutic and cathartic. Who says men can't talk about their feelings.

We're not so different after all I think.

Goodnight boys.

Good to know you both 

09/04/2013 at 23:37

...yes goodnight, chat again soon I hope.... time to go to bed, forum went terribly slow so hope this doesn't duplicate...

I'm a lady... but no problem...

10/04/2013 at 06:27

Possibly  we thought you were a chap because of Leandro Salino, the football player  

What gorgeous gardens Salino - and how wonderful to have such precious memories.  

10/04/2013 at 06:36

Salino 

So sorry! not sure why I made that assumption. Lovely to hear your stories and chat with you too. There's a lot of good people on this forum.

I'm not really a 'girl' as I'm a fairy......

Verdun- getting my coat......

10/04/2013 at 06:38

Salino - what beautiful pictures of a lovely garden!

My favourite plant is the rose "Constance Spry" - for similar reasons.  Its good to have good memories.

10/04/2013 at 08:40
Salino, I have a picea...quite common one ....albertiana,conica that,is a,favourite simply,because of situation told,before. ,hyacinths,for,the same reason
Sentiment,can,be gushy but,in the garden it can be,quietly classy, respectful and thought,provoking.
Some nice comments,there.
Yes Salino, Fairygirl is an ethereal creature,not really of this world....not an ordinary girl at all
10/04/2013 at 11:46

..no, definitely not, .. ethereal, what a lovely word

thank you all so much once again for your kind words from last night...

Dovefromabove,

I've not heard of the footballer Salino,  but you may have heard of a character from the film 'The Sting' - Loretta Salino.  She was supposed to be Robert Redford's assassin, but she failed...just as well as he was quite dishy wasn't he..?  I think my favourite female film character, - I don't know why..

Verdun, I think I know that Picea albertiana, I've seen it in the garden centre, it caught my eye some time ago... I don't have one though or ever grown it I think, not sure about that..

I like conifers very much and think they are a little maligned in recent years, I find they present a calming influence in the garden, restful on the eye during troubled times, and give structure to your plantings...

my favourite is the conical slim one called Thuja 'Emerald' or 'Smaragd' as it's usually known by...  I grow it next to my very favourite plant  Euphorbia mellifera, which gets the most sheltered part of my garden.    I've usually got a photo, so here they are together...

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/21223.jpg?width=350

10/04/2013 at 12:31
chicky wrote (see)

Salino - what beautiful pictures of a lovely garden!

My favourite plant is the rose "Constance Spry" - for similar reasons.  Its good to have good memories.

hello chicky,

I saw that one in a National Trust garden once, it was gorgeous.  Perhaps too big for me to grow at the time... otherwise I don't know why I didn't grow it... there are so many to choose from it's quite bewildering...

..and thank you

10/04/2013 at 13:05

Salino, I think you are a ttrue plantswoman. The pictures last night and your knowledge are really great. I look forward to hearing and seeing more of your wonderful garden

21 to 40 of 49 messages