Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant suggestions please

Hey all, I've got a bit of mixed border I'm altering and was hoping for some ideas for a specific spot. Soil is heavy alkaline clay, position is fairly shady. Bit windy from 4ft up and slug and snail infested.

Nearby plants are bergenia, euonymous fortunei (gold), tall white anemones, pyracantha on the fence. The gap in question has lawn at the front, a huge fern to the left, bamboo at the rear, and a raised dry stone bed full of bergenia to the right. The space is probably 3 or 4 feet diameter. Could use one biggish thing, or perhaps 2 smaller... Struggling a bit - so many things that like heavy soil in shade are slug or snail magnets!

Whaddya reckon folks?

• weejennyweejenny Posts: 386

my brother had heavy clay soil and had a fantastic display with the ornamental rhubarb it was huge

• auntie bettyauntie betty Posts: 208

Oh thank God - a reply! Thought I'd been shunned! I'll have to look into that one Jenny, not something I've grown before. Thanks a lot. x

• How about an Astilbe? I refer to my front garden as 'the clay bog', but the Astilbe loves it and is sending up five or six spires ready for flowering plus spreading out lots if lovely reddish leaves.....
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

What about one of David Austin's English shrub roses - several of them perform well in partial shade - Harlow Carr is one of them, it's beautiful, has a wonderful scent and is about the right size for the spot you mention http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Advanced.asp?PageId=2020 

Roses will do well on clay soil if you add a bit of sand and some leaf mould or compost and mulch with a bit of manure (not touching the stems).

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• amazingamazing Posts: 8

Hi,How about Acontium and Actaea  towards the middle and back of the bed to contrast with the euonymous fortunei, Alstroemeria 'Apollo' to tie into the variegation on the euonymous fortunei. Crocosmia George Davison to add leaf contrast and stunning yellow flowers to tie into the yellow on the Apollo. Asters towards the front to give colour and contrast in flower shape and Autumn interest. Astrantia maxima towards the front to tie into the colours of the Bergenia and and Geranium Sambor for ground cover at the front or <span dir="auto">Alchemilla mollis to ground the design.

• auntie bettyauntie betty Posts: 208

Wow. PLENTY to think about there. Thanks all!