Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Planting a new trough

I've just bought a wooden trough 1m long x 29cm high x 50cm wide.  I want to put it n front of a wall at the front of the house so that the contents grow up the wall and cascade a bit over the front of the box.  I'm thinking of ground cover roses or maybe firethorn .  Part of the purpose is to deter anyone who might just shin over the wall, so a few thorns will help.  Really, the question is whether either or both proposed plants cope in a trough, and what else I should consider (compost, water, etc.)

Advice please ...

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Will it get much sun? could we see a pic? I'm thinking of doing something similar, but not thorny.image

• KirstyB2KirstyB2 Posts: 47

South facing. I'll get a pic in the morning.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I think the firethorn would grow well enough there Kirsty adn , being evergreen, it means you have something there all year round. I'd put a bit of trellis on the wall to give it something to grow against for support and you can then train it into a nice shape. I'd use a soil based compost and make sure it doesn't go short of water, bearing in mind the site, and a mulch will help to stop it drying out. They don't need much in the way of maintenance. Berberis would do the job too but Pyracantha grows well as a wall shrub.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

Very smart trough!image

Fairyg, do you think she could have some underplanting for the first year or so; Nasturtiums? or something like that? Or perhaps a few bulbs for the spring?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Absolutely art. Spring bulbs would be lovely - crocus, dwarf Iris and daffs especially, and some nasturtiums popped in would give a bit of extra colour and height while it all establishes. They're no trouble either  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

FGimage

• I have two of those trough's Kirsty there great and last for donkey's (very well built) I am using mine as veg platters at the moment and there doing great image

Thanks for all that advice. I hadn't thought of the evergreen point. Pleased to hear good reports of the planters too.  I will definitely underplant, just a bit worried I might over do the plant to soil ratio.

And only just caught my spell checker trying to insert underpants into my question!