London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
01/07/2014 at 21:29

hi,

I have 3 evergreen bushes against a fence which are shaped to allow gaps between them. I would like to grow something between the two gaps in the bushes. Orientation is south facing but due to the buildings/trees around I would think "partial shade" plants would work best.

I cant see this area from the house therefore it doesn't have to be evergreen and it would be nice if it was flowering. I love purple and blues.

I would like something that is free standing and not a climber. I love the Verbena bonariensis but already have it in other places in the garden so am after something different.

01/07/2014 at 21:58
Hi snowdrop, how tall does it need to be?
01/07/2014 at 22:03
Approx 6ft high and 1meter wide (maximum)
01/07/2014 at 23:07

My daughter has planted a non invasive bamboo in that sort of place Were you thinking of perennials or shrubs? Veronicastrum virginicum 'Fascination' is a tall blue or purple perennial.

01/07/2014 at 23:23

..I've planted some Hollyhocks next to some bushy evergreens for this season....flowering shortly... next year might be different...

01/07/2014 at 23:43
No problem. Just keep in mind. How is the intermediary going to perform. Is it likely to out grow it's neighbour etc. My advice is. Space permitting. Plant/sow a bit forward. In time this will afford you the chance to, as it were, to get behind plants shrubs etc and crop etc.
02/07/2014 at 00:18

The obvious,plant.....verbena bonariensis.  What better? 

02/07/2014 at 07:08
What about a lovely hardy geranium, they come in wonderful shades of blue, they can get quite tall, but maybe not 6ft!
Foxgloves, lupins, i know cannas arent blue, but something striking like that or datura in large statement pots would be beautiful
02/07/2014 at 07:09
Can i ask why you dont fancy a climber?
02/07/2014 at 08:31

Ah snowdrop, you already have bonariensis I see.....

I grow salvia guaranitica and salvia uliginosa.  Both are tall long flowering blue plants. However, there is a big difference......uliginosa requires more moisture.  If,your ground  is moisture retentive or you can add water occasionally, this is a mighty attractive plant.  Blue flowers with white tips, graceful, erect and easy.  Guaranitica has vsrieties with darker or lighter blues but grows in dried soils.  

Acomitums are worth checking out too.....I grow a couple of varieties.  My fav is Stainless Steel with lovely blue flowers.  Aconitums are bushy long flowerimg perennials that thrive in a little shade.  

Consider though grasses there..     Tall grasses like Calamagrostis Karl foerster or vsrieties of miscanthus will add drama, impact, flowers and movement for you

02/07/2014 at 10:36

Delphiniums? One of mine was 8' tall this year; cut back after flowering and you should get another flowering later. I have some in a pretty shady spot as well as full sun.

02/07/2014 at 10:38

hi, so many ideas, thanks! I will have to go and look up some of the names of the ones i dont recognize.

I dont think lupins and geraniums would be tall enough or add the look i'm after.

i dont want a climber because i want something that can be planted slightly forward and also has more of a "structure" to it. i also dont like my plants "mixing" in with eachother 

02/07/2014 at 10:50

artjak, i didnt see your note about delphiniums until after i posted. i have never had delphiniums (or lupins) grow as tall as i want for this spot...yours must be lovely!

02/07/2014 at 12:06

I love them, my garden is small, but growing tall things compensates.

02/07/2014 at 14:51
Have a look at campanula pyramialis, i actually grew this for someone else, but its really lovely
02/07/2014 at 16:41

thanks for your replies, its lovely learning about new plants.

campanula pyramidalis and Veronicastrum virginicum 'Fascination' are the front runners at the moment.

My garden choices are usually made by going to this lovely little quaint nursery that sells plants for a bout 1/3 cost of wyevale but i'm at the mercy of what they happen to have in. perhaps i can try growing one of the above from seed to put in next year 

02/07/2014 at 16:59
I can save the campanula seed for you, its just coming into flower, but i think its a biennial
02/07/2014 at 17:00
If you buy seed and sow now, you might just get flowers next year
02/07/2014 at 19:37

hi bekkie, thats really kind of you to offer some seeds . I think I might just purchase some now so i get some colour next year. if i sew them straight in the ground where i want them, would i just leave them to get on with it and thats it? any special care over winter?

02/07/2014 at 19:45
I think that would be fine, infact i think the seed packet says to sow in a tray and leave in a shadyish part of the garden, i think sowing in situ wolud be fine, maybe do both just to be on the safe side, i usually find sowing into a mix with lots of grit helps seeds
1 to 20 of 25 messages