London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
10 messages
16/01/2014 at 19:19

Last year I removed some south-facing lawn and replaced it with a geotextile  membrane and gravel, it's now known as The Beach as the gravel is the same colour as sand!

Continuing the beach theme I'd like to put in some plants which you would find on shingle, we have the wind but thankfully not the salt. Can anyone suggest plants that you'd expect to see by the sea?

16/01/2014 at 19:32

Thrift and spiky grasses. Verdun will help with that. 

16/01/2014 at 19:38

Eryngium - several good species (sea holly). 

16/01/2014 at 19:44

..most of my garden is like this, I also have a 'beach' effect.  There are so many plants to choose from....  don't need to stick with maritime ones especially but Silene maritima 'Robin Whitebreast' flowers all summer if sheared occasionally...  Helianthemum's look really good on shingle...

16/01/2014 at 20:28
Stipa tennuissima, agave, ophiopogon nigrascens, borage, fennel, lavender and echinacea I can think of off the top of my head, but as salino says, verd would be the man for that
16/01/2014 at 22:02

Have a look at Beth Chatto's gravel garden. I think once it was a car park and now it's a wonderful gravel garden that she doesn't water. If you click on gallery it will show pictures about the garden areas, woodland, gravel etc and if you click on gravel you will see more photos.

http://www.bethchatto.co.uk/plants-for-specific-conditions/drought-loving-plants.htm

16/01/2014 at 23:41

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36043.jpg?width=274&height=350&mode=max

Just started gardening after xxx years of not having any time.

17/01/2014 at 08:57

John thats amazing! I'm not jealous atall 

17/01/2014 at 15:16

Agree with many already suggested .....eryngiums are a must but check out eryngium Jade Frost. ,it's a beauty and different.

Mesembryanthemums, gazanias, etc. look so good in gravel.  They love the reflected heat from,the sun.  There are some stunning upright osteospermums too....perhaps a little tender for some areas but so easy from cuttimgs that they can be kept from year to year.   Linum perenne, the blue flax, has womderful glaucous delicate foliage and the most exquisite blue flowers all summer.  Can you plunge aeonium Schwarzkopf there too?  

These may not be "beach" plants but they look good in gravel.  The Noah's Ark Juniper.....sorry name escapes me for mo.....is a small upright, slow growing conifer that I  Iove on the rockery will look nice in gravel.  For different shape another juniper...Blue Star....is a blue foliaged bun shaped plant.  a yellow leaved santolina called lemon fizz is worth checking out too.  I grow this on a free draining wall and it's evergreen bright yellow foliage is charming.  How about Tulbaghia?  Silver/blue/white/grey slender foliage with pink flowers ....again set in gravel looks very nice.    Many hardy geraniums ESP the cushion ones will look good.....black Beauty is a gem with purple compact foliage.  and gentian blue flowers.  Arabis Ferdinandi coborgii (?) is a lovely variegated Arabis with sparkling white flowers in spring.  

Getting carried away here and strayed off "by the sea" request.  

(juniperus communis compressus....Noah's ark juniper.  Had to look it up)

18/01/2014 at 17:46

Many thanks for all these contributions, I'll let you know how I get on!

email image
10 messages