Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Please recommend a lavender - will be in a large pot.

Hi

We'll be putting a couple of large planters in front of our bins to disguise them a little.  I'd like to use lavender, and wondered if there are any varieties particularly good in containters?  I know lavender tends to grow min all sorts of situations, but wondered if you have any favourites?  The bins are about 70cm tall. 

More than happy to have a different variety in each pot  image

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Really depends on what you want to achieve. Lavenders all require sun and good drainage. Have a look on the crocus website for good pictures of the flowers, heights and spreads. Then just choose, it's difficult to recommend anything, as your question is a bit open, but a good rule is to be happy with the choice you make as taste is a very personal thing.

All the lavenders are good performers if treated properly, you have to be happy with the choice you make. 

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

i like hidcote french ones look lovely but mine have never lasted through a northern winter

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

I would probably say Hidcote.  The french ones are often more fancy looking but buy one in flower and check out the smell if that is an important factor.  I don't think french lavender smells as nice as English - something a bit sour about it.  Ours are in raised beds with free draining soil and have gone mad - a bit too mad.  On reflection, if we had gone with dwarf Munstead we might have been able to see the flowers behind them!  Sometimes think about changing them, but they look so happy and the bees would miss them.

• PETE DPETE D Posts: 1

I agree with Edd. Munstead has always served me well in the North West of England in pots or the ground. image

• pariatepariate Posts: 77

Munstead it is then!  Thanks very much.

• There is a wonderful lavender farm in Norfolk and they sell plugs of a great many varieties.  Look them up on the web - they will be able to advise you, but can also offer varieties that are not available in the garden centres.

I grow "bunny ears" lavender in a hot, dry spot in France - it needs a very poor, stony soil - great of you intend to neglect it!  However, if you want something taller there are many other varieties.

• pariatepariate Posts: 77

Thank you!  I'll take a look at that site.

• djjjukdjjjuk Posts: 211

Hi Edd - is that 35cm width and 80cm depth? how many plants do you have in that space?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

And don't forget that lavender needs to be cut hard back every year immediately after flowering or it'll grow long and straggly, so it won't mask the bins al the time.  

Here's the Norfolk Lavender Farm website

http://www.norfolk-lavender.co.uk/pages/a-fragrant-experience.php 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

Try www.lavenderworld.co.uk the sell really good plants at reasonable prices.