London (change)
Today 9°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 9°C
9 messages
03/06/2012 at 18:08

In my garden I am going to build a raised bed and a rockerie and a little patio area with a seat with roses climbing up it .

what plants shall i use for the raised bed and the rockerie and what climbing roses shall I use to climb up the seat .

Please can you help as and am going to gardener's world live and I would like to get some of the plants there.  

03/06/2012 at 19:12

The climbing rose I would use is Golden Showers, it has golden yellow blooms that will flower from June to October. It is a strong grower so its perfect for growing over archways or a pergola and the bonus is that it is perfumed. 

03/06/2012 at 19:30

I have Rosa 'Morgan Sackler' around my seat area as it is thornless, pink, perfumed. The name is not so hot!

03/06/2012 at 20:09

Thank you very much

donutsmrs and Daintiness i will try those

cheesey ed 4

04/06/2012 at 09:38
David Austin is the best place to go for roses. Iceberg is striking if white will work in with your scheme. Maybe plant some asparagus in your raised beds, yummy.
04/06/2012 at 10:29

For the arch I would choose Rosa Zephirine Drouhin.  I have had one at every house I have lived in and they are wonderful.  Heavenly perfume right through to autumn and no thorns.  It will live quite happily in shade too.  I once grew one on an arch which had the early morning sun for about 2 hours and then was in shade the rest of the day.

For your raised bed I would suggest plants with flowers that look good from underneath: Hellebores; Fritillaria; <span class="genus">Erythronium (Dog's Tooth Violet); Monkshood (NOT with children as poisonous - but beautiful); and lovely Aquilegia.  There are masses to choose from and if they are mixed with perfumed plants they will look a delight.  Unless of course you are thinking veggies....

<span class="genus">There are lots of lovely alpines to grow on your rockery but I would avoid some like <span class="st">Cerastium Tomentosum (snow-in-summer) as they will take over.  Personally I love the Gentians.  Such beautiful blue flowers.

04/06/2012 at 10:31

What the dickens is <span class="genus"> all about then?

04/06/2012 at 10:32

Thank you

enduring gardener I think about those

cheesey ed 4

04/06/2012 at 10:40

Thank you Robot

For suggesting plants

I will think about those thank you very much

cheesey ed 4

email image
9 messages