Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Raised bed against fence

Hello, I have had a gardener in to sort out a raised bed. It backs onto out neighbours fence and he has packed the mud and stones right up to it to retain at a night of around 2 foot. I am worried about the fence. Should out gardener have used gravel boards and can we make him correct this as I do not want to be having to replace our neighbours fence in a years time because it has rotted out. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I really know nothing about gardening! I hope i have posted this in the correct place! Thank you x

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

He should have left an air gap to protect the fence if it's wooden. He must know that, just taking the easy route

I think you should be assertive, don't pay him til it's sorted

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I agree with Nut - it needs an air gap, and the bed needs to have four structural sides, not three and the fence!  

Falling out with neighbours over boundaries can lead to much unhappiness so best get it sorted and let the neighbours know that you're doing that before they get upset. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Hi fluffybunnyfeet (lovely name there)image

It is a shame that your gardener left you in that situation.  The fence is bound to rot after a while if the soil is packed against it.  I would definitely ask him to come back to rectify it and leave a small gap between the fence and a retaining wall of some kind.   You don't want to have the responsibility of replacing the fence in the near future.

Good luck.

• Thank you for your messages everyone. I spoke to the gardener. He said it was just the way the chippings on top are laid and that there isnt any mud against the fence at the back (I know there is tho because I had a mini dig at the back last night) He says he will talk to us about it on Saturday and explain it. Made my point but looks like he wont 'fix' anything. So looks like its a case of having to suck it up and get someone else in to sort the mess he's left :-/
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Not good enough is it? When he 'talks' to you make sure he sees the bit you've dug away, knows you've posted on a gardening forum, and will not be recommending him to anyone in future. Perhaps he'll think again.

If you are on good enough terms with the neighbour, perhaps you could enlist them for a bit of back up. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

Say to him "So if our neighbour removes the fence panels the soil in the raised bed won't fall into their garden?"  I would be inclined to get your neighbour to remove a panel and check before he comes back.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

That's a good idea KT

In the sticks near Peterborough