London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
9 messages
07/03/2014 at 10:22

Advice on wood to use for a raised border for a veg plot and where to source material

07/03/2014 at 10:35

Hi Graham, I've used heavy-ish fence timber for my raised beds. It's 150mm x 22mm which I got from my local Builder's Merchant and isn't too expensive, (around £4 for a 3.6m length) although you'd have to factor in delivery if you weren't able to collect it yourself. DIY stores will stock similar products but will be much dearer. Lots of people use sleepers,  but make sure they're not old, used ones for veg as they're full of tar. You can get new ones but I'm not sure how expensive they are. I'm sure others on here will be able to give you an idea. 

Edd
07/03/2014 at 10:47

Hi Graham.

Try a reclamation yard for used scaffolding boards or the local free/recycle sites in your area. Also try the pallet thread.

Fairygirl. I am posting some sun up for you. You Might not get it until Tuesday. Second class post and the weekend delay things.

07/03/2014 at 11:07

I've just had some raised borders done and we used sleepers 

07/03/2014 at 12:05

Hi Graham scaffolding companies are usually glad to deliver used scaffold boards if its  a decent number for around £ 4 a board, not as good as sleepers but cheaper. 

24/03/2014 at 20:10

I have used scaffolding boards for raised beds joined together with long coach bolts which take no time to put together and seemed to have lasted. I treated mine. If they are used don't worry. Buy a flap disc for an angle grinder and that will take the dirt right off - make sure you wear a mask. I routed the edges of mine for a nice finish. I have read that you can get up to 10 years from them depending on how you treat them. I lined mine with a tarp and put holes in the bottom to help the drainage. Try looking on ebay for boards locally. That's where I found a supplierY. Also ring round scaffolding companies, they have lots they can't use. If there's a split in the wood, it's illegal for them to be used.

25/03/2014 at 08:18

I recently sourced some new sleepers for a customer. they are preserved with a non toxic preservative so safe for fruit and veg etc. they had a variety of sizes. we used 2.4m x 250mm x 150mm and cost £20 each. the company was grademore sleepers - swaffham Norfolk. they do have a website. the finished beds look great and the company will cut the sleepers to size for you.

hope this helps

25/03/2014 at 13:08

I make raised beds out of old pallets, I get them free so do lots of things with them. It's basic carpentry and they are just as good and just as strong as scaffolding boards. All it costs is time and a box of 2 inch screws.

25/03/2014 at 13:18

I've just started building a raised bed for my mum. Mainly used just old wood that was lying around - an old bed and a couple of old bookshelves. going to treat it and stuff so it doesnt die too quickly. whats the best stuff to treat it with does anybody know?

email image
9 messages