Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Replacing a leylandii hedge

Hi,

This is my first post and I'm hoping that someone, somewhere may be able to assist with our dilemma.

Our house sits on a hill above a relatively busy road which is currently screened by a fairly scruffy looking leylandii "hedge".  It's seen better days and we're keen to replace but the siting of the hedge, the height required, congenital laziness and budgetary pressures aren't producing an easy answer.

The hedge sits atop a 15ft sandstone wall and runs east-west for around 40m.  Given the location, I'm not keen for anything with the kind of root system that will push the wall apart and dump sandstone blocks onto unsuspecting motorists.

We're in the High Weald so the soil is fairly moist yet free draining.

Yew would be first choice but cost means we'd be buying relatively small plants and am concerned at the amount of time it would take to establish itself to the kind of height required.  We do have the ability to nurture the saplings elsewhere and transfer once they've reached a serviceable size but I'm not sure how easily they transplant.  Holly, rhodies and blackthorn also appeal but would consider anything other than the elder, bramble and leylandii jungle we currently have. 

Any advice or food for thought very gratefully received.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Hello invictaimage May we see a photo? It would help in giving advice. Just click on the little tree icon and upload.

My favourite hedge is beech, but it may not be appropriate. There is a website completely devoted to hedging plants, you may find this useful.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Oooh a substantial holly hedge - what a lovely thought image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Invicta72Invicta72 Posts: 3

Here a couple of snaps... one from roadside which shows the full horror and one from houseside showing showing how well yew can do!

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

How about a wildlife hedge, a mixture of hedging plants and is easy to care for?

See link.

http://www.hedgenursery.co.uk/shop-by-hedge-type/native-mixed-hedging.html?gclid=CKqtzNiIpL4CFagEwwodwZcAKw

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I agree with pansyface about doing it in bits.

It won't be an easy place to maintain as a clipped hedge. A row, or staggered double row of mixed planting would give you something for all the year

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Invicta72Invicta72 Posts: 3
    Thanks all. We've discounted laurel due to its habit of getting very big very quickly and, as noted, tending the roadside of the hedge means we don't have to go base jumping to get our kicks.

Think I'll follow the advice to gradually fill in with replacements. Holly, blackthorn (for gin) and yews I reckon.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Sounds good to meimage

In the sticks near Peterborough