London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 27 messages
20/07/2014 at 15:24

Hello, i have to make a way through my garden that the farmer can drive over in a tractor, which happens about twice a year.  in future i may need to get a car there with horsebox, so this is not just for the farmer!  I have made the borders out of wood and need to consider the surface.   

I have not much imagination and can only come up with 1. Grass.  Is cheap, but then i need to cut it and will get churned up by the tractor if its wet.  The soil  tends to turn to mud.   2.  Membrane then gravel (grey to match existing).  This would be more expensive, less maintenance, but im worried the weight of the tractor will just churn it up or drive the stones through the membrane.  Also a bit ugly as its a major part of the garden.

Really dont know what else i could do, but i suppose im asking how to build a road with v little money!  Any ideas welcome. 

20/07/2014 at 15:26

Do you know which time of the year the farmer needs this access? - it will make a huge difference if it's only in the summer or in the winter.

Also the size of the tractor and any implements it is towing will be important.

Modern tractors can be huge. 

Edd
20/07/2014 at 15:40

Shredded wagon tyres?

20/07/2014 at 15:57

only july for hay cutting.  Tractor plus trailer for hay.  I measured the tractor for the width of the road and took the trailer into account as they dont go round corners too well, so its a gentle arc.  Its a modern tractor but not massive. 

Edd
20/07/2014 at 16:29

Do you have a photo of the area please a1154 preferably showing the garden as well.

20/07/2014 at 19:56

Maybe an ex-MOD auction might have something in the way of tracks (she says, as a complete non-starter when it comes to things mechanical)

20/07/2014 at 20:00

Used to work for Wildlife Trust and we used a honeycomb type of plastic that grass grew through, it looked nice and as we used it as a car park I would assume it was fairly tough, cant comment on the price though.

20/07/2014 at 20:10

Hmmm pics are loading upside down even if i flip them over first.  Ill try again. 

Edd
20/07/2014 at 20:17

Post them they often come out slanted??? and then come out when we try to enlarge.

Time will tell

Edd
20/07/2014 at 20:22

I think KEV can even change them rouund for you. It mite be D\ave K. Sorry unsure.

But i do know they will be sorted on here. Welcom we try?

Regards

Edd.

20/07/2014 at 20:55

sorted the upside down thing, the ipad seems to correct the orientation for you but not when its uploaded.

first pic, just after the gravel drive the road starts...

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/53223.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

20/07/2014 at 20:58

Pic2 arcs round what will be a flower bed and the lawn

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/53225.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

20/07/2014 at 21:02

Pic 3 up to paddock gate

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/53227.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

If it looks a bit of a building site it kind of is.

20/07/2014 at 21:04

thats a heck of a track to resurface, at the trust we also used to use crushed stone and use a wacker plate to make a hard surface (you can hire the wackers), it was a reasonable finish and looked quite rustic.  It was the road to our visitors car park so used to take a bashing.  If we got a pothole due to heavy weather we just had to add more stone and wack it down.

Edd
20/07/2014 at 22:07

Thats not a garden a1154 Where is the pond???? and what is happening to the left hand side of this?

What you need are 9 grey hounds and a new job. 

My first suggestion was the best or try wood chip? Fiber sand. and sellind it.

I just dont like it, Sorry.

Can you hedge the edges off and enclose?

What is at the bottem end. and can you build higher tham 6'

You have a new (unworkable!??? Ha,Ha hA.  clean canvas to use and im jelious

Tell me. What are your limits. Please do. Please do.

Every small detail!!!!

Are you on the beach (bottom end?)

20/07/2014 at 22:20

eh? What are the greyhounds for? Got 2 pointers.  

The pond is big, just out of sight, i could post a pic coming back in the other direction. 

There is a hedge you can see the green tubes along the fence. Oh you mean have a greyhound race track? Well its a thought. 

20/07/2014 at 22:28

a1154, have you asked the farmer what he would recommend for longevity with tractor use? I walk my dog on the tractor trails around where I live, they are all grass and they form serious ruts that you would not want to take a car or van over, I think you need something a bit more solid than just grass.

Edd
20/07/2014 at 22:36

Does your pond have a tide???a1154.

The grey hounds are for you next business venture!!! 

You do not have a problem garden. What you have is a race track?????? ££££.

Sorry a1154 it must be a Northern thing. so disapointed

Sad regards

Edd.

PS. shredded tyres will work and so will bark chip???? 

This whole thing takes over your garden.

21/07/2014 at 08:03

Unless you do a proper construction job you're wasting your time as this is not a job you want to do twice. Depending on the subsoil you may have to remove anything down to 600mm depth, compact the subsoil surface, fill with two compacted layers of crushed rock sub-base (local quarry or builders' merchant).

Make sure the track is plenty wide enough for the widest vehicle, and then a bit more, and the finished level is 150mm above the adjacent ground, otherwise you will find vehicles running along the edge of the track and dragging soil onto it, making a mess of your job.

21/07/2014 at 08:12

I agree with Joe - dig out and compact base then fill with crushed concrete/rubble/hardcore and compact again (or get tractor to drive back and forth over it lots of times) and then top off with a finer grade hardcore type stuff.

It may be worthwhile letting local farmers/builders know that you have a need for broken up hardcore as they sometimes have to get rid of it and would have to pay to take it to a tip.  

But make sure they know it must be broken up (or rather down) to a size that can be compacted before they deliver it, as otherwise you'll get chunks the size of half a house tipped up on your driveway. 

1 to 20 of 27 messages