London (change)
Today 19°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
9 messages
04/08/2012 at 19:28

i have a medium sized garden very pretty and established, but i would love to add some interest in that i would like secret little rooms/views, that are easy to do, if anyone has done this a pic would be great x

04/08/2012 at 22:56
Start with a simple trellis at a third and two thirds down the garden, and if possible, have them on opposite sides of the garden so your eye cant see all the way to the bottom of the garden. Behind the trellis you can put a bench, or a single seat. Put climbers up that have good scent (honeysuckle).
07/08/2012 at 19:12

good idea tim, thank you 

08/08/2012 at 13:31

Clematis Montana is great for growing up over trellis/tree etc to create a fast growing screen if you have the room?

I do have some pictures of something you might be interested in but haven't access to them on this computer so will post up later if it would help?

Higgy

13/08/2012 at 18:47

Rustic log fences/arbours with wires and rambling roses make good screens. Even a temporary 'screen' of verbena bonarienses works well - it dies back in winter so the view changes. Placing a decorative urn, seat, or focal plant with strong form or vibrant foliage colour at the end of each sight-line encourages your eye or your feet to keep going. If you want to hide the posts supporting trellis or fencing you can't beat conifers. Look up ellwoodii. Bamboos screen well too - just go for clumpers like phyllostachys so they won't run If you're in for the long game, hornbeam or beech hedging works very well - you can even clip 'windows' through it to give just a glimpse beyond. Try searching google 'images' for "garden rooms" for some inspiration. As a rule,separating a garden this way tends to make it feel larger rather than smaller,as you might expect. Bx

16/08/2012 at 15:46

I divide my garden using a couple of espalier apple trees tied to wire and posts at a slight diagonal bout 1.3 metres high. Right from the first blossom to leaf-fall they make a very effective screen, so you don't see the whole garden at once, but are easily reached to prune when the time comes. This year I have also used a bean wigwam to block out the view of the house from a bench overlooking a pond. The bench catches the early evening sun so it's great to sit there without being able to see buildings and watch the bees on the bean flowers and dragonflies catching their supper over the pond.

24/08/2012 at 12:33

Hi Denise, 

I read a great blog about secret garden rooms which has some great ideas for trellis. 

http://www.metaldesign-furniture.co.uk/content/create-your-own-secret-garden

Hope that helps. 

30/08/2012 at 16:38

thank you all so much thats so helpful....wish me luck x

22/09/2012 at 22:28

Height. Anything that makes it. It divides a garden up. It doesn't have to be permanent. I made a lovely big obelisk with three triangular pieces of trellis from Wilko, painted cream, wired together and pegged down, with several clematis up it. Just putting stakes into the ground in a line, linking with rope and growing climbers on it. Crambe, bonariensis, wild carrot, anemones or today I saw beautiful tall golden rod. A 'wall' of sweet peas looks and smells divine.

email image
9 messages