Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Screening

Our front garden on one side runs along a public pathway and though most has a 6ft sturdy fence, by the drive there is a lower railing style fence 41/2 ft high which we want to add screeing to in order to give instant privacy.

The screening needs to be 6ft high and we will need to cover 40ft, being attached to current railing. We are looking at either thick bamboo or willow screening - does anyone have any experience of using either of these products? Also where is a good source to purchase.

Thanks image

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I have used both as a windbreak to protect newly planted shrubs till they established.  Both types rotted far too easily and broke in strong winds and got tatty very quickly.   I would not advise them as a permanent screen.

I would suggest instead that you attach 2' wide trellis panels horizontally to the top of the existing fence or else erect 6' high panels on the inside of the fence, using new posts if necessary.  trellis can be painted to make a feature of it or else you can train climbing plants up it for further privacy and added interest.

Local DIY stores and maybe timber yards will stock it so shop around for best prices and quality.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I am assuming the OP means rolls of willow or bamboo wired to make a screen and not actual plants.

I would suggest pyracantha as a living screen as it can be easily trained, grows fast when happy, is evergreen, has blossom in spring and berries in autumn so is excellent for all sorts of wildlife and it has thorns to deter trespassers.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • BoaterBoater Posts: 241

Check your planning regulations in case there is a restriction on fence height within a certain distance from a road - I know screening is not a fence but it might be considered the same. It may be the 4-1/2 foot high section is that height to avoid needing planning consent.

Round here the restriction to fence height doesn't seem to apply to hedges, although I cut mine down to the lower height at the front so I could see to get the car out of the drive.

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

You could try pyracantha. It has either red, yellow or orange berries in winter, white flowers in summer and is evergreen with thorns. Grows very well. I have an orange berried one in my front garden that I cut down to a stump and its now 7ft tall and bushy.