London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
6 messages
17/11/2013 at 19:22

Hi, I have a garden that is on 5 different levels gradually going up a slop. It already has a number of mature trees, shrubs and erm.. things. I moved in 2 months ago and have since been on a rescue mission as the garden was neglected for a long time.

I love the fact that it has this secret garden/majestic feel to it. 2/3 of it doesn't even have grass on it instead various ferns, bells, other small plants, mosses and of course ivy. Which interestingly they all seem to be getting on fine on the ground. Though the ivy that grows up the trees (a different Ivy then the one on the ground) had to come off the trees and did claim some completely (my big yew and oak..)

The final part at the end is one open area after the great bramble battle (and I mean great it was 2 feet taller than me and my shears..). I wrote a previous post of my mistake in purchasing a weeping willow only to discover a sewer pipe runs through this part. I want to keep or have something that will go with the rest of the winding garden. It is the end point. Any suggestions on some small trees, bushes, shrubs.. anything that weeps would be lovely.. I love that ideal of standing by the trunk and having the leaves come down like curtains... or even smaller bushes and flowers that have that feel to it. part of it is in complete sun, the other part is patchy (through the big trees canopy) and then there a strip that is shade.

Also if there is anything that could go between Hazel trees.. going up one side there are mostly mature hazel trees with the odd beech or birch tree and between each set is about 5 feet. Some of the gaps are already filled by various types of hollies, firethorn, hydrangea, etc. I still have 6 gaps though. .

No roses please, the garden is dotted with them everywhere already. Amazing to see where they are growing in someplaces and so beautifully, I thought roses were tricky.. I fear touching them. They seem to be fine by themselves..

Thanks

17/11/2013 at 19:36

Hello Jenny.   I'm sure there will be plenty,of suggestions for weeping plants.  Have you considered grasses?  Many have a fountain-like shape like miscanthus.  I grow a Japanese willow....not exactly weeping but as a half standard makes a nice variegated head as does prunus cistena crimson dwarf as a half standard...but kilmarnock willow, weeping pear too.  

Do they have to "weep"?  Lots of perennials and shrubs that are tall erect and imposing.......?

17/11/2013 at 19:39

How about a buddleia alternfolia for the 'weeping' effect - they are very pretty and won't get too large.

17/11/2013 at 19:40

How about a weeping cherry - lots of different culivars to shoose from. Maybe  some crab apples in your gaps - lots of colours again to choose from.

17/11/2013 at 20:13

It sounds wonderful Jenny. Dont rush, nothing hasty, things will appear. See what you've got as spring and summer come, send us some photos. Keep on top of the ivy and brambles. Ivy is fine in it's place but you don't want it everywhere.

17/11/2013 at 20:28

Get to know your garden - watch what appears when and where - note the views and vantage points at different times of the day/year - and visit lots of gardens with a camera and notebook - then you'll find the perfect tree for that spot 

email image
6 messages