London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
19 messages
19/03/2013 at 11:13

Hi 

I have very little gardening experience. My front garden is covered in slate and we want to turf it and put a medium to small tree in the centre. It has full sun and I think clay soil. I would like a tree with a good shape  ( preferably round) and one that is very hardy. Ideas please.

19/03/2013 at 11:28

What about Amalanchier http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=116 or a crab apple?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-17yqxZ4W_Ew/TaXjYB616KI/AAAAAAAAG-8/pvEqhJGH3lg/s1600/Crab+Apple13.JPG

With crab apples you can choose light or dark pink blossom or for the autumn fruits, from yellow to pink or red. Above is a crab apple.

19/03/2013 at 12:45

I will second Amalanchier as it is a light tree. I have 3 now as I was so impressed with the first.

A Japanese Cherry tree is another option - various varities to choose from.

Japanese maples are also suitable front garden trees as are some varities of Sambucus.

19/03/2013 at 16:19

I have amalanchier on my 'list' , They have bloosom, berries for birds and amazing autumn colour but recently have added a Cercis Forest Pansy to the list- if you google it it looks fantastic for colour and interest and is small.

19/03/2013 at 20:02

I am glad you are going to turf your front garden ,so many gardens are dull with gravel or brick.I have seen here in a small front garden a grass lawn with a circle bed with a variegated holly with berries and small flower borders surrounding .It looks lovely and refreshing,the holly is cut in a ball shape.

19/03/2013 at 20:49

I would choose Amelanchier ,too

Pam LL x

20/03/2013 at 16:13

Three years ago I planted a small magnolia stellata in my front garden.    It faces due north, and is subject to strong north winds, but the magnolia has flowered beautifully each year since.     I believe they only grow to about three metres, but if it eventually outgrows the garden, I will be long gone!

31/03/2013 at 16:07

how about an acer maybe a weeping type with the red leaves sorry dont know the name we had it in our old front garden which was sunny. we moved it to our new garden but it was too shady so i have had to move it to our back sunny garden.. it looked so pretty and was not to big near to the house

Hi all. just started landscaping my front garden which still looked like a building site. I am looking for a small tree or large bush for a focal point that does not mind shade. It gets couple of hours sun in the morning before sun goes behind the house and then catches it again in late aftrenoon. we are quite exposed being near top of mountain so got to be hardy. something that has summer flowers would be nice or verigated to try to brighten the house up. ground is now quite good as i have put raised bed in with plenty of horse condiments. Any ideas please

27/02/2014 at 21:09

Is Amelanchier the snowy mespilus?  I'm also looking for a small tree for our front garden and saw this in the local garden centre but I want to be sure it won't cause any root problems either by spreading towards the house or poking up through the lawn. 

27/02/2014 at 21:28

Yes Amelancheir is the snowy mespilus. They also bear fruits that if cooked can be eaten.  Be careful which variety you buy some of them grow quite big if its for your front garden.

27/02/2014 at 21:37

How big is your front garden,  if its a smallish one you have to remember the spread of the tree roots and also if it will block out light to your room/rooms at the front of your house. Perhaps a small acer as suggested or a salix or a standard rose.

27/02/2014 at 21:40

When I was a child we had a tree with the most beautiful dark, almost burgundy blossom, like sprays of tiny roses, I think that was a crab apple, does anyone know the name of it?

07/03/2014 at 15:02
I got a tree from the garden centre for my front garden, its called Pink perfection, it grows to 6ft, its pink flowers look lovely in spring and early summer : ).
29/04/2014 at 04:04

crataegus crus galli-cockspur hawthorne-is an amazing small tree-self shaping, symmetrical, wonderful white flowers -leaves which glitter in the sun-it does come in a thornless version but the thorns-to 3 inches long are very ornamental in the spring

29/04/2014 at 08:51

I just bought and planted an amelanchier, having never heard of them before.  At the garden centre I was particularly impressed with the fact it had good 'width' of branches - spreading out, and I want it to form part of a screen between our garden and next door's, but not get stupidly tall.  The leaf colour is really attractive and I liked the year-round-interest factor.  The other thing I bought was a weeping willow which will only grow to 3m.  Again, it had good spread, promised dense foliage for good screening, and the leaves are a kind of silver which will contrast attractively with other foliage colours.  I always thought weeping willows were big trees - the willows we have had before have got enormous. 

29/04/2014 at 08:54

Weeping willow is any willow with a drooping habit. Have you got Kilmarnock?

29/04/2014 at 09:08

Don't know, I will have to consult the tag which I have saved in the greenhouse!! 

Right nut, it is a Pyrus salicifolia 'Pendula', or Weeping Willow-leaved pear - so actually maybe not a weeping willow at all!  From the picture on the label, if you stuck eyes and a nose on it, it would make a very good muppet!

29/04/2014 at 10:04

I wonder which tree Marie chose, her post was over a year ago.

29/04/2014 at 11:13

Ha-ha - would be good if she let us know!  Funny how often that happens and everyone thinks it's happening now!!

email image
19 messages