Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

suggestions for a small victorian terrace garden

hi there, i have a small victorian terrace garden that is raised. what i want is a love calm garden with a place to sit and water and tall plants for privacy.

it is currently fully decked when i moved in and really dont like all the wood. but too expensive to rip up and try and create something else so i guess need to work with it.

any ideas??

first picture is what it was originally like and second its current ( needs a tidy up) state.

thanks

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,654

Bamboo would be a good screen plant, grows quite tall but is delicate too. Lots of potted plants and soft lights with lamps/candles or fairy lights. Solar lighting is good if you haven't got electricity outside. A fixed seating area with lots of cushions one end and table and chairs the other.

Cute cat image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

When I had a similar space I build some storage with cushioned seating on top - somewhere to put the compost and pots and trowels etc without it cluttering up the place. image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• filmbuffyfilmbuffy Posts: 77

thank you. dont know if you can see in second picture. i do have three pots of bamboo which has grown well. ive now cut into decking (second pic) to create more bedding area.

i think it definetly needs a focus. i would really love to flatten it all. create an area under window and rest lawn and borders but that would cost alot of time and effort,

i also want to try and create secluded area where my neighbours back bedroom window can not over look.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

hi filmbuffy ours looked bit like that when we moved in except paved, laid lawn as 2 little ones, loads of climbers,group of large pots maybe with tall plants/ climbers? it'll be a nice 'outdoor room' look through mags like ideal home they often have some good pics and ideas

Sorry filmbuffy, didn't see the bamboo. didn't enlarge 2nd pic, oops image

• filmbuffyfilmbuffy Posts: 77

lol no worries. you can only see a corner of it. its difficult to get a full picture of the garden at mo.

Filmbuffy you could get something like this for shade, just hooks on..available from Primrose ltd.