Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ugly structure in garden

Hi my wife and I are buying a house and this gloomy looking set up is in the garden. First thoughts were to destroy it. Does anyone have any recommendations to make it look decent?

http://webkit-fake-url://62B6F17E-341C-40EE-ACFF-4AA6E5786AD4/imagejpeg

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Peter can you use the tree at the top to upload pics , i cant get your upload to work, cheers matey

• Has that worked? Haha you can tell I'm new

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

Sure has newboy image

Hmmm it's not that bad Peter and you could do something with it but it depends on style of garden you like and how much and what you use your garden for?

Any chance of pics from different angles?

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Lick of paint and some plants in pots? That's quite a construction Peter! image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Hi Peter - my first thought would be that it looks like it's in the shade of that tree as it's very mossy, and that's not a great place for decking. image

If you want to keep the little summerhouse, perhaps you could think of taking the rest away and simply changing it to a more suitable surface and some planting. Is there a reason why it's raised up on a platform? Conditions underneath it for instance.

A few more pix would be very helpful as BM says, but perhaps you're not in the house yet!  Any extra info you can offer will help though  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Check what is under the decking if you can - it might have been built to hide something worse!  If there is bare ground under there, my personal choice would be to take the summerhouse apart and remove the decking, later using that to make raised beds.  I'd then replace the roof on the summerhouse with twinwall polycarbonate sheet and turn it into a very serviceable greenhouse.  But I do love DIY projects like that!  image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • More-or-less 'snap', fg! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks for the replies. I can't take any more pics right now because we aren't in the house yet. I will take more pics and check what's underneath on our next visit. 

What is a summerhouse like that even good for? It's tiny!

Would I need to sand down everything if I were to paint it?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi Peter, I think your assessment of this as an ugly structure is correct. It would take more than a lick of paint to make me want to look at that every dayimage

In the sticks near Peterborough