London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
21 to 31 of 31 messages
31/07/2013 at 15:41

If kids to small for doing that fence in a nice play area to keep them away from the wall till they get older and understand the danger's.

31/07/2013 at 16:10

Thanks all for your replies.  I will think about attaching a trellis or iron fence along the wheel-wall.  As someone pointed out, if i'm going to put plants there , the wall will be largely lost anyway!  The other wall with the stoney top is a bit more probematic since it's not flat.  It's got a 20ft drop to a stream.  In the corner where the 2 walls meet i will hopefully have a quarter-circle paving/decking/pebbled area for table and chairs, and so i need some sort of protection at the back from the wind.  So i guess the fence would also solve the problem of keeping the winds down a bit. At the moment its a massive (dangerous) blank canvass so it's even knowing where to start!   

31/07/2013 at 16:11

i do like the idea of putting the kids on a rope and just leaving them to it!!

31/07/2013 at 16:14

oh and Andy19 for sure, they absolutely get told to keep away from the wall, but i'm too scared to even go and make a cup of tea just in case one of them decides to do something crazy.  As you say, it's not just my kids, it's those that might come and play and not understand/accept the rules.

03/08/2013 at 19:37

I'd put 6 foot high wire mesh all the way along and plant clematis or honeysuckle up it.

04/08/2013 at 16:04

It's a question of which is more important - the children or an archaeological site. I'd fence the whole grassed area about 2 metres in from the parapets, leaving that 2 metres for maintenance and planting.

04/08/2013 at 16:30

Speaking as someone who grew up on a farm and like Andy, learnt to follow the rules I know exactly what he means - however, until your children and their friends are old enough to be reliably obediant, that drop needs fencing.

I think I'd put in some ordinary round fence posts like these

http://www.newatlanticonline.co.uk/products/gates-and-fencing/field-and-paddock-fencing-fence/machined-round-posts/post-machined-round-p-t-grn-2-1m-x-100mm-7-x-4.html 

and fix some strong chain link fencing like this 

http://www.newatlanticonline.co.uk/products/gates-and-fencing/field-and-paddock-fencing-fence/machined-round-posts/post-machined-round-p-t-grn-2-1m-x-100mm-7-x-4.html.  

It won't look beautiful, but it won't look too out of place, and it's only for a few years and will give you peace of mind which is worth a fortune when you're a parent, believe me

You could set the fence a metre or so inside the wall so that you could plant perennials against the wall, then when the fence eventually comes down you'll already have a mature garden. 

04/08/2013 at 16:40

How about cricket nets?

11/08/2013 at 22:10

Ever thought about a 'living' fence, such as willow. You can buy kits & it grows quite quickly. Here's a link you may find useful:

http://www.jprwillow.co.uk/FAQs.htm

11/08/2013 at 22:45

I would do as Dove says. The children are far too important to take risks with.

14/08/2013 at 20:36

I'd go with something that'll look good "for now" and after the wall disappears behind your planted borders.

For most of it, a solidly built trellis and climbers ought to do. There's something to be said for an access path between that and the flower beds, so that you can get at it to keep them under control without having to set up a stepladder in the shrubs.

One thing about a trellis: it kind of looks like a climbing frame, but will fall apart under a person's weight. My trellis-as-security here has lots of brambles growing through it, making it rather unappealing as a climbing frame. The roses are getting thornier year by year, too.

For a corner with a table and chairs, a wind-reducing fence and an overhead trellis may work, although that kind of requires a front leg. You could put miniature trellis up the front leg and plant around it, too, to pretty it up. Something that'll dangle down nicely, like wisteria flowers or bunches of grapes, would be a nice feature for overhead.

Putting rails up and installing a retractable roof is an option, but may be considered extravagant. Also, the climbers would get into the rails.

email image
21 to 31 of 31 messages