Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

URGENT ADVICE AND HELP NEEDED

Hi all, not too sure if this is the correct area for this type of problem but here goes:

I have a back garden that is 15m x 10m sq. It is over run by nettles (see pics at bottom of this thread), last year I did try and pull them up to no avail, they are coming back even worse. I have tried all types of weed killer that is on the market and they have not worked. 

I would like to take this garden back as it is mine. I know and understand that allot of hard work is needed and I have got quotes from garden maintenence companies and I cannot afford what they have quoted (£1400 to £2000).

Please can you help me as I have not got a clue and I am not green fingered at all.

Many thanks

D H

https://picasaweb.google.com/113752952703840516631/Garden#5988385912489075250

https://picasaweb.google.com/113752952703840516631/Garden#5988385912368831314

• Dave HDave H Posts: 4

Hi there for some reason the pics didnt upload they are links, click the boxes to be taken to the pics,

Many thanks

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Dave, you will have a fare bit of hard work, but it is do-able.

First pick up and dispose of all the rubbish, mend the fences.

I would then spray with glyphosate (not sure about spelling) following the instructions exactly on the container. You will need to work out which size container to get.

Once you've done that, take more pics (they can be uploaded direct from a computer - press tree icon) then we can tell you the next moveimage

Good luck with it.

• Dave HDave H Posts: 4

Is that type of weedkiller ok for pets as i have 2 dogs that use this garden. Also I understand that allot of work is going to be needed and after I have sprayed the nettles with weed killer is it best to re-seed the lawn of turf over??

Many thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

The trick with using glyphosate is to leave the plants to die off properly before pulling them up and cultivating the soil.  Only then will the roots be dead as well.  

I leave them until they turn brown.  

If you pull them up and cultivate the soil too soon every little bit of root left in the soil will grow again and you'll be back where you started. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Kevin daleKevin dale Posts: 135

Hi Dave h my names keV dale or the retford gardener you have a good sized plot my advice is dig a bit at a time clear all the grass until you have bear soil then go over it with a how to keep the weeds down the nettles can be used to make compost so in a way you are lucky to have them then look at your garden then decide what you want to do with it get in touch any time 

• You're not allowed to advertise on this site.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Dave you now got the best advise,i did the same 3 years ago turning a field into an allotment, follow the advise it will work, BUT dont go at it as a pain in the A this might sound weird but try and enjoy creating your garden maybe get a suntan as you go on, we did and dont forget the gin and tonic area good luck matey. image

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

take your time, follow the advice here, try to enjoy it as a projest and think how proud you'll be when you achieve your goal, i only manage tiy bits in my garden and haven't had quite such a mountain to climb, thouigh have had to do and am still a long way from where i want 6to be but goodness thhe sense of achievment is  extremely uplifting, good luck,keep us informed

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

I would agree with those people who say that you need to stamp your authority on the garden a bit at a time, especially if you are an evenings and weekends gardener.  There is nothing worse than taking on too much and thinking you've got it sorted and then not having the time to keep what you have done under control.  Weeds do eventually give up if you keep at them - always a good idea not to let them go to seed if you can possibly help it by lopping the heads off them.