London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
7 messages
31/05/2013 at 23:56

First of all - hallo forum members, I have joined today and hope to be able to pick your brains on the many gardening subjects of which I am blissfully ignorant!  We have just moved into a house with (apparently) a sixth of an acre of garden which is a great advance on the pocket hanky we had before.  Unfortunately the previous owners had owned about six cars and a motorhome and covered a good half of it in concrete to house them.  The back garden is coming on well, with veg plot, borders and some raised beds; we have manually removed 8 post office van sized loads of concrete, and replaced with topsoil (which we have scrounged from patio builders who want to get rid of it). We are a lot fitter and stronger than we were!  But, we have the front garden to go and a good 50% of this is concrete.  This is where I want to put my pond, which leaving space for plenty of planting around can be about 3 metres x 4, maybe bigger.  I have read lots of conflicting advice on pond depth for wildlife - if I dig a deep but shallow sloping hole in the middle, do you think I can put a wide outer perimeter of pond liner flat on the concrete and build up the edges with the no doubt available ton of brick etc which comes out of the hole?  Or do I have to bite the bullet and dig the whole lot up?  Any brilliant ideas would be really welcome, in fact any ideas would  be more than I have currently ...

01/06/2013 at 20:11

I was just trying to be lazy really, I had a hard day digging concrete up yesterday and the next square mile of it looked too much to be borne .... have made a start on it today.  I think I need a pneumatic drill rather than a hammer and stone chisel for this one.

01/06/2013 at 20:25

You can hire tools to break up concrete Sara. smaller and more user friendly than a pneumatic drill.

01/06/2013 at 20:34

That was my original plan nutcutlet, but I made a tactical cashflow error by accidentally buying a cast iron swingseat .....  so I'm broke and it's the beginning of the month; whoops!

01/06/2013 at 20:37

I can see how that could happen 

01/06/2013 at 20:46

Sounds like it's the sort of accident you're prone to as well ...

01/06/2013 at 21:19

You have to get your priorities right. Your seat will give you years of pleasure

email image
7 messages