Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Water Butts

Is there any planters that could fit over the top of water butts that could contain trailing plants to cover them up a bit. Can't find any anywhere . Suppose I could try and paint them with some flowers scenes on to blend them in a bit better with the garden. Anyone else any ideas? Wonder why we cant buy some better ones?

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

Could you cover them with the stickers used for wheelie bins?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Posts: 2,543

My Mum put chicken wire round hers and has grown ivy up it.Can't see the water butt now!

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

madP, what a brilliant idea. image

• MrsT 12MrsT 12 Posts: 77

I desperately needed to see this post, I have 5 x 220litre water butts dotted around my garden and they have ugly green bases and black lids. I have been struggling to think of ways to disguise them, but couldn't really think of anything that would work. The chicken wire is so simple yet brilliant, thanks madpenguin. Will order some now.

• Thanks for all your ideas, will try the ivy on one of mine, have also just found a couple of painted water butts on the internet, so might give this ago. one had a nice aquatic scene, the grandchildren might like a go at painting them I think as well! 

Might even put a few more butts in once I have the first three done.

• BluebaronBluebaron Posts: 226
    Problem with that is that I find they need cleaning once of maybe twice a year depending on where they are collecting from. That would require you to strip all the ivy off to empty them out.

Maybe build a frame around them with a planter on top?

What I need is a filter to stop them filling with gunk.
  • greg 4greg 4 Posts: 38

I've thrown some camo netting over mine. image

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

Why not grow a clematis in a pot up it OR in a hanging basket down itimage

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

I put a scrunched up ball of chicken wire at the end of the hose that goes into the butt. Stops dead leaves etc going in.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • We have the perfect idea to mask up plain boring water butts, we can coat them with a coloured aggregate of your choice. i have been meaning to do one but been so busy creating recycled planter's and pot but i will do one for you all to see soon, if you like my idea please pop to my fb page to see some of our other great idea's like and share to please. creating beautiful gardens