London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
15/09/2013 at 18:15

Hi folks,

finished off this rockery for mom and dad, what does everyone think?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31112.jpg?width=244&height=350&mode=max

15/09/2013 at 19:18

Hi Have a go Nick!

Looks like mum & dad have kept you hard at work! Have you left some soil planting pockets under the gravel? You could try putting in some of the smaller spring bulbs in there like crocus & muscaria & the small iris varieties would look good too at the waters edge. Time for a well deserved rest now! Looks good!

15/09/2013 at 19:36
Hi Nick what size and type did the waterfall pond pump/filter need please im thinking of doing one similar
15/09/2013 at 20:11

Nick.   Brilliant rockery.  Choose a nice plant or two if you want to.  Maybe something to cascade Imto the water.  Mind you, it looks good just as it is

15/09/2013 at 21:24

Are you looking for praise or honest opinion? (apart from the fact that there is flowing water there is nothing that I personally would have in my garden)

15/09/2013 at 21:27

Read the question blairs?

15/09/2013 at 22:04

You've got the strata on all the stone running the same way which is always a good start.  You've also done a good job in hiding the hose up from the pump.  Because it is so new all the elements look very stark but that will soften with time.

The waterfall, being so different in colour to the natural stone around it, does stick out like a sore thumb at the moment.  Hopefully, once the planting develops it will soften the lines and grow into the waterfall and the colour differences won't be so obvious.

You have clearly put a lot of effort into the project.

15/09/2013 at 22:13

Well, I think the water feature being a different colour and standing proud of everything else isn't good, actually. First impression was that you'd left some crumpled tarpaulin or something on the near side when you took the picture.

That'd be fixed by filling it with plants enough to stop it standing proud and hide the other rocks, but then you'd be hiding the other rocks, and you'd probably lose the three feature items there too in the process.

I think it'd be better with the water feature one pond edge further back, draining across rocks that match the rest of it, with the rockery built up around it so it's more like a natural gorge, and a lot more green on the rest of it. The plants you've got kind of look like they grew from bird- or wind-borne seed after you built it, rather than like they're part of the design, because the main impression is of an expanse of sterile, white gravel.

Sorry, but, well, you asked!

15/09/2013 at 22:27

I thought it was quite good for someone who has never done it before?

15/09/2013 at 22:48

Nick, some ungracious remarks there, alas.  Get some plants and it will look great.  Post another thread....."what plants can I use in my new rockery?" and we can respond again.  

A cousin of mine made a waterfall some 2 years ago for his dad.  He asked what I thought.  Wasn't as good as yours Nick.  I encouraged him.  We planted the rest of the garden...acers, ferns, variegated periwinkles, some climbers on the fence, etc. etc.  I called there last week after a year or so and the whole garden looks great.  If I said it didn't look good and left it like that his dad's garden would not have been developed.

Full marks for effort Nick.  Full marks for waterfall functioning as it should.  Full marks for imagination.  Full marks for doing something for your parents.  Plants WILL  make  a huge difference

15/09/2013 at 22:54

There's about 8 alpines in there at the mo so hopefully they will spread over time

15/09/2013 at 23:07

Yes they will.  The sound of water, ESP, on a hot day is so soothing too

15/09/2013 at 23:40

I think you deserve top marks, and if the alpines you have planted are anything like the ones I planted this spring, it won't be long before they are filling the spaces! If that was in my garden then all that gravel would be one big cat litter tray! If you spread some used ground coffee through it then they should stay away 

15/09/2013 at 23:56

Good tip 4th panda.

16/09/2013 at 00:48

Hi Nick  Personally I think you have done a cracking job and not just because you are a beginner. It looks like you have put a lot of thought into it

The ivy at the back is just perfect making it look very lush but keep an eye on the ivy to the left as it looks like ordinary tree ivy and you don't want it running into the chippings.

Venus looks great as if she is wading through the chippings. She is a favourite of mine  

Is it Thyme in the tipped up urn? Will look lovely once it it has tumbled out and spread around the urn and have you planted in the crown?

What are the other alpines you have planted in there. Can't see even when I enlarge. Is it a suntrap? Is that why you used alpines? 

I can see there is some Pulmonaria to the left of the pond are you adding to that side and are you planting in the narrow strip down the rhs?

Can you take a pic further back to see it in relation to the rest of the garden?

The chippings you have used will discolour and mossen (is that a word!!!) up over time making it look much softer.

What are your plans with the pond itself? Fish? Waterplants? Have you put in an escape root for frogs cos they will turn up!

How long did the project take you from start to finish?

Sorry so many questions lol but they are the kind of things I would ask if stood in your garden with you admiring your handiwork!

Bet your parents are well chuffed 

16/09/2013 at 09:59

It has been done very neatly and tidily with attention to detail so full marks for that.  However, I really dislike the plasticky looking waterfall and the visible pipe at the side but these can be softened in impact by plants which will hide and soften the edges and one to flop over and hide the pipe.

It should bed in in time and look more natural and I hope your parents are pleased with your efforts.

16/09/2013 at 11:18

Nick I think it a great effort will you come and make me one 

I think a nice water lily to cover that pipe would make a world of difference and have you thought of adding some grey slate to the white stones. so it blends with our fibreglass water rockery  Slate is quite cheap at the GC 

If that rockery is fiber glass it is covered with a gel coat first. the gel coat can be lightly sanded to lose the shine this may help it blend in a bit better

as for plants I wouldn't have a clue 

James

16/09/2013 at 16:54

hi obelixx

tell us about we looked at the brochure and they all seemed to be plastic looking but hopeing the alpines will spread over it abit to cover

16/09/2013 at 17:01

hi CluelessGardener

we had the main part of the pond built for us, we just had to do something with the rockery at the back.

in real life the chippings dont look that white i took the pic on my phone

16/09/2013 at 21:29

Hi Addict,  

Thank you for your comment and ill try and answer all of your questions for you.

Question: It looks like you have put a lot of thought into it

Answer: have had abit of advice of my parents to say what they would like as in colour and help with the plants from our local garden centre.

Question: The ivy at the back is just perfect making it look very lush but keep an eye on the ivy to the left as it looks like ordinary tree ivy and you don't want it running into the chippings.

Answer: i must admit i did hav eto cut quite abit away, because it was growing quite freely.

Question: Is it Thyme in the tipped up urn?

Answer: No, its actually another alpine which i have just put in.

Question: Will look lovely once it it has tumbled out and spread around the urn and have you planted in the crown?

Answer: Yes, hopefully will look really good when it start to grow and tuble out.

Question: What are the other alpines you have planted in there. Can't see even when I enlarge.

Answer: They are various, i was advised to get pink and white.

Question: Is it a suntrap?

Answer: Yes, it is a suntrap for quite a few hours of the day.

Question: Is that why you used alpines?

Answer: To be honest, yes that was why i used alpines with a good spread so they can cover the rocks and stones abit as well.

Question: I can see there is some Pulmonaria to the left of the pond are you adding to that side and are you planting in the narrow strip down the rhs?

Answer: Yes, to be honest thats my next job to do that side.

Question: Can you take a pic further back to see it in relation to the rest of the garden?

Answer: Yes i will do ill get it sent over.

The chippings you have used will discolour and mossen (is that a word!!!) up over time making it look much softer.

Question: What are your plans with the pond itself? Fish? Waterplants? Have you put in an escape root for frogs cos they will turn up!

Answer: I'm going to put some water plants in i think.

Question: How long did the project take you from start to finish?

Answer: We had a builder to repair and reline the main pond part which took him a few months for him to get started, but just took me 3 days to sort the rest etc.  

Sorry so many questions lol but they are the kind of things I would ask if stood in your garden with you admiring your handiwork!

Bet your parents are well chuffed 

Hope this helps in answering your questions.

I would love to take this further if possible, if i could find some way.

Nick

1 to 20 of 21 messages