18 messages
28/10/2013 at 17:29

we have just bought our first home & am enjoying gardening but am overwhelmed with what to do In it

the small wall at the front is not in a great condition and as we don't have the money at present to alter it wonder if I could plant something to climb up it and disguise it (Probably have to remove the trough?) 

there are currently some bushes that had yellow flowers on which I'd like to dig out.

It is south facing according to my iPhone and the soil seems a bit clay like.

i really like cottagey feeling gardens and the next door neighbour has a clematis which I think looks fabulous but would this grow too big?

many thanks for any suggestkons

28/10/2013 at 17:32

http://webkit-fake-url://F496D2A7-6E22-4E26-8E9C-D8C2843A4CFA/imagepng

28/10/2013 at 17:34

i think your pictures too big moomin

28/10/2013 at 17:45

How about some sort of rambling rose that you can train along it rather than the usual up.  Don't go for one of the really vigourous ones (Rambling Rector, Kiftsgate etc) but one of the smaller ones would do nicely.  You could check out the David Austin or Peter Beales websites to find one you like.

28/10/2013 at 17:47

I have a clematis called "Diana" which is doing well on a south wall. It is growing with a grapevine.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33181.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

There are loads of clematis on this site, so you should be able to find one you like.

http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/

28/10/2013 at 17:52

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33184.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

28/10/2013 at 18:16

I love roses so a rose clematis combination might be good. Would I be best putting a small trellis on the wall or would netting do? 

28/10/2013 at 18:21

Most clematis are likely to grow too tall, unless you are happy for it to cover the railings as well. There are a few herbaceous clematis which are much smaller and would be fine.

Roses would grow well. They like clay and sun.

28/10/2013 at 18:47

The previous owner was obviously very keen on evergreens...flipping nightmare to mow round em!

28/10/2013 at 18:57

I can see the nightmare Moom, could you dig some up and make a bed of them and simplify? It would be more pleasing to your eye as well

28/10/2013 at 19:00

Lovely looking house - maybe the evergreens will eventually join up and give you a low hedge.  Yes, like the others I immediately thought of roses and clematis.

28/10/2013 at 19:05

Yes- mowing would be very tricky! Combining into a single bed would be a good idea. How about some trellis on the railing and let some clematis etc cover that whole wall area? Would make a very attractive welcome when you go in and out. You could relocate your trough under the window by the front door perhaps?

28/10/2013 at 20:32

Awwww great ideas guys Thankyou i like the idea of a combo & am going to go on the search for maybe a white rambling rose and blue/purple clematis & will definitely think about relocating the trough. If I dig up the bushes can anyone recommend how they'd make sure theyd got all the roots? Is it just digging deep, then reseeding with grass seed? 

28/10/2013 at 22:08

It'll be hard work taking all of those out at one go, so it's probably best to decide which ones you really want to keep first. If you need help identifying them you'll get help here if you post photos of each one. The ones you don't want to have in the front garden could be put in the back garden if you have room there. The ones you keep for the front could be positioned in a better way probably- a new corner border for instance. Removing as much rootball as you can is important in the shrubs you keep and it might be better to plan over the winter and start moving in spring. Any holes can then be filled , firmed down and re seeded or turfed.

If there's shrubs you don't want at all - just take them out now!

28/10/2013 at 22:52

Moominrhubarb (great name, by the way!) have a little look at a clematis called Polish Spirit - I have been ever so pleased with ours which has had far more flowers than leaves and is still going strong even now.  It blooms right from the bottom too.  I cut it down to next to nothing last year (actually it was an accident, but I found out later that it was a good thing to do) and it has grown more shoots from the very bottom.

29/10/2013 at 08:13

Just to let you know that both my local "chain" GCs(squires and the Garden Group) are doing 3 clematis for £10 at the moment - quite small, but i have found the small ones establish better than the big ones for me.  Polish spirit is in the offer - have you got room round the back for a couple more ???

29/10/2013 at 09:09
Ooo the polish spirit is beautiful colour. Pay day tomorrow so off to see if they have any in my centre as the back garden would benefit from some colour as well.
29/10/2013 at 11:34

If you are planting clematis make sure that you put them in a deep hole, at least 4-6 inches deeper than top of the pot they came in. Also put a lot of muck in the hole as they are greedy plants.

email image
18 messages