London (change)
Today 13°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
6 messages
17/08/2013 at 12:34

A few years ago i met a chap early one morning in tesco's of all places (4am) it was one of those open all night stores and i was returning from a weekend away,

we met on the garden supply section and i was putting bags of compost in one of those trolly things and noticed he'd done the same,

We both felt a little bit emarrassed as we both thought each other may think we we're mad buying garden compost at 4am, but a smile can open a million doors and as such he told me he had a railway running all the way around his small garden,

We exchanged tel/numbers and later on we met up and i saw his miniture railway,

it really was out of this world with all the stations/little cottages/ signal box "all working" road crossing gates etc etc and on the house walls we're old railway notices made of metal,

all this along with flowers etc really was a nice mix of a long time hobby ref gardening and his life time spent working on the railway as a signalman.

Have you seen any such theme gardens made by the ordinary person?

17/08/2013 at 15:41

a Dalek,yep straight from doctor who which turns its head and flashes lights.child love it when they pass and it has many other things.I think the gardener is a artist.

17/08/2013 at 19:59

Fnatastic,

I myself are not a Dr who fan "not my sort of thing" But a great idea.

Keep them coming.

17/08/2013 at 20:08

I pass this place on my way to visit family - the cowboy is fantastic http://www.demotix.com/news/425718/unusual-metal-statues-suffolk-garden#media-421915

17/08/2013 at 20:34

Once went to look at a house for sale that was on the site of an old quarry. The back garden was essentially a hole and, down one side, it had the longest, steepest playground slide I have ever seen. We didn't try it.

19/08/2013 at 21:43

There's a shop mannequin in a front garden near the main road in Exeter who changes her costume according to whim and weather ... When we had the floods she had flippers and a snorkel, recent sunshine has brought out some remarkable swimwear and she has a fairly extensive day wardrobe complete with accessories ...

email image
6 messages