Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Which way should I place the railway sleepers?

Hi guys I'm new here and hoping to learn a lot on this site. We have a sloped garden andd would like some sleepers for the border. Do you think I should stagger them as the garden declines down or end up with not much sleeper showing at one end so it's level? I will try to upload a photo of our garden Thanks for any replies missy

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Yes, a picture or two would be helpful.  Click on the green tree icon and follow the instructions image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• MissymrMissymr Posts: 24
    I can't see a tree, maybe it's because I'm on my phone?

Probably - do you have access to a laptop or pc? 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Yeah, I'll go grab the laptop image
  • Yes, pics would be good. Meantime sleepers laid flat are more stable when laid flat, but are okay laid on their edge if only being used in a single row. 

So this is our garden currently, we would like to place sleepers along the borders to square it off, and narrow the border. 

What is the difference in height between one end of the garden and the other?

It is possible to use two layers of sleepers on edge - our builder did this for us a while back - he drilled right through both layers of sleeper and inserted long reinforcing rods through them right down into the soil to hold them firm - they are very stable. 

The garden slopes about a foot and a half, from the top to the bottom.

We wouldn't want to go two high due to the cost, as we already need about 15 sleepers to do one high image

So if I understand you correctly, you want to raise the far end of the bed so that it's level with this end - the lawn will continue to slope?

Is this both beds or just one side?

You'll need a fair amount of topsoil to fill the bed. 

The length of each border will be 12 metres long and 1.3 metres wide.