London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
7 messages
11/11/2012 at 15:55

This is an appeal for help with my wilderness. Briefly, I am studying for a degree, my other half is not into gardening, and our garden is long at 100 feet or so. I would like to turn this area at least into something that will be low-maintenance and maybe allow us to sit on it in the summer. It slopes gently downwards and is south-facing. I'm not sure that I could face the maintenance of a lawn. Any ideas would be gratefully received!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/15648.jpg?width=521&height=350&mode=max

11/11/2012 at 16:21

I think I'd start by just tidying it up.

Rescue that black composter (very useful, if it is a composter), and rescue the hose. It looks as though there might be an expensive garden bench down the far end.

You need to find out what kind of tree that is in the left foreground. It could be a planted fruit tree. There's a smart U-shaped cane just behind it, so someone has bought some expensive climbing plant.

Then I think I'd strim the entire area, just to make it tidy, and rake up all the green rubbish that results, and put it into the composter.

Then you can spend the next few months thinking about what sort of garden you might like.

11/11/2012 at 16:58

Start as Georg  says by tidying it up. Then decide what you would like, what you will use it for, how much work you want to do and what the budget is. You could pave or deck the area close to the house and put a table and chairs for outdoor meals and a few pots of flowers. Then you could do a gravelled area for low maintenance and plant some things like lavender, rosemary and thyme in it. Clean and rake the area level, put down weed suppressing permeable fabric under the gravel. Do you need an area for vegetables? Do you need a children's play area? Forest bark is good as a base for that. You could put a rose arch at the end with a comfortable seat and a climbing rose or honeysuckle for the scent. Have a look on internet, garden magazines, buy or borrow a book about garden designs , low maintenence gardens, long thin gardens. You may find that you are enjoying yourself and you don't mind a bit of maintenance after all!

11/11/2012 at 17:26
I agree with all of the above and if you wanted to make the narrowness look wider try different types of path materials which winds from right to left and goes all the way to the end of of garden. That way it will be more interesting and you may find you want to divide it into separate areas to show off different types of plants. One area could have a water garden , nature area, just flowers or a mixture of all. Pots would a good idea as you could move these around if you get bored of the display or if it doesn't look right. Above all experiment and have fun with your own personal space.
11/11/2012 at 18:27

Many thanks for your replies; so very helpful. I will start with a tidy! I usually plant veg in the bottom part of the garden, and don't have any children, so perhaps a gravelled area would suit nicely. The winter will indeed give me time to think about what I want. It can be difficult to regain perspective when you see your own garden every day!

11/11/2012 at 19:29

That garden is full of possibilities   

02/12/2012 at 07:04

hello wild gargener, "full of possibilities"is the best answer!

Look here at the first 6 pictures of my old/new house garden, wild but with plan. I want have a different to my "correct areas for relaxing.

wild with plan  (password: ThaiGer) 

Best luck and organic greetings, ThaiGer.

http://camping-in-thailand.com/ , http://www.farmersvoice.info/

email image
7 messages