Start a new thread

1 to 17 of 17 replies

thinking of putting a wood burning stove into the greenhouse and hoping to do it bu October/November. 

We will not be using a wood burning stove to heat the greenhouse. It is a big greenhouse and we thought it would be lovely to put a little chair and table in there so we can have tea in the evenings and look at the stars. The wood burning stove will purly be to keep us warm on winter nights whilst we have tea etc.

just wondering if anyone has actually done this and their approach etc.

thank you in advance

nutcutlet

the chimney might be hard to arrange unless you had a panel that wasn't glass. I think the expansion/heat/contraction would break glass

nutcutlet says:

the chimney might be hard to arrange unless you had a panel that wasn't glass. I think the expansion/heat/contraction would break glass

See original post

Hmmmm, ok. But I couldn't use a Paine of Perspex as it might melt. What else could I use? Also not thinking of running the tube up to the roof and having it poke out there but thinking of having it cone out of the side of the greenhouse.  

Lyn

There won't be enough draft to make it burn up, you need a chimney, sealed around the pipe, sometimes even bungalows are not high enough to pull the smoke up. Do you know that the pipe get tremendously hot. 

I have some experience of wood stoves, not in greenhouses but in houses. You will need either twinwall stainless steel insulated chimney or a brick chimney. Both will be expensive. Research flues and building regs for wood stoves. There is lots online.

Advertisement

I was shown round the greenhouse of a retired nurseryman who had done this. He built a brick chimney into a section of one end and had chairs and a table for his tea. However, the greenhouse covered an area larger than most modern back gardens.

Hostafan1

I fear the rocketing ,and plummeting temperatures will do nothing good for any plants in there.

punkdoc

It sounds a lovely idea, but I am afraid that for all the reasons mentioned it will not work and even if it did, it would be harmful for the plants.

You could do it if you used a metal panel in lieu of glass and you could use the sort of flues they have on canal boats. You would be better to go straight up through the roof rather than out the side - supporting the flue would be difficult if it's cranked  - it'll need to go up above the roof of the GH, it can't just poke out the side and stop there or as Lyn suggests, all you'll get is a smoke logged GH. Which is one way of reducing aphids, but not relaxing to sit by. If you go straight up and through a crinkly tin roof section with a proper flashing around it then you don't have the risk of accidentally bumping up against the hot flue when you walk past that end of the GH.

As Hosta says, for the sake of the plants, a little linhay somewhere close by with a brick chimney or a bench against a south facing wall with a chiminea close by might be more sensible.

Last edited: 19 May 2017 09:46:37

Obelixx

Thermal vests, thermal socks, coat, hat gloves - much better for the greenhouse and the plants and carbon footprint.

LG the L

A friend of mine has a sort of summer house with a wood burning stove in it. It's not used for plants and has a higher proportion of wood in its construction than a greenhouse would,  but I'll see if I can find any photos in case it would be useful.

Thank you for all your inputs. I think we will need to rethink this. We have a long way to go till winter anyway so it's not imminent

I have a greenhouse fan heater in mine. It's usually on the 'frost free' setting, but if I go in there to work in winter or a chilly spring I just turn it up. Less romantic but simpler and safer

Blue Onion

Look into the way they pipe the stove for yurts.  It goes out the side through a metal bit sown into the canvas, and then high up above the roof.  It looks fairly easy to DIY, with lots of directions on the internet.  As others mentioned, it would be tough on any plants inside.  If you're willing to give up the space for over wintering, and only use it for spring/summer, then you could consider it.  Might be nice, all fitted out with your garden furniture and a cozy wood stove.  Make sure to crack some low down vents a bit when you're in there, to keep the air circulating.  Keep in mind, it takes a long while to get the space up to a comfortable heat.. probably an hour?  So going to watch the sun set or see the stars is going to require planning.  Maybe consider some sort of electric space heater?  Just go switch it on half an hour before, then go back into the house and get on with stuff.  Don't have to worry about all the carcinogenic effects of breathing wood smoke air either (http://www.lung.org/about-us/media/top-stories/wood-stoves-harm-health.html).  

Advertisement

I like your thinking Carlythielke but I can see the issues.  It's a fabulous idea but practicality wise, maybe needs more thought.  A 'fake'  electric woodstove  (which would be a possibility) would not quite do it IMO.  It really depends on how much you want to have a woodstove in your gh and how big it is and how long you are planning to stay there. Personally speaking, as a lover of wood stoves, I would say if you are planning on staying there for ages, spend the money and do it!  You probably wouldn't regret it.  It would probably be used only on occasion and therefore probably wouldn't do the plants that much harm.....maybe even of some benefit as it would warm things up in the depths of winter.....just maybe.  There would be some residual heat that would carry on after you retired to bed. You'd be doing it for yourselves primarily.  It is important to follow the building regs though as it could be problematical or even dangerous otherwise.  Good luck with the decision. How big is the gh?  

Redwing says:

I like your thinking Carlythielke but I can see the issues.  It's a fabulous idea but practicality wise, maybe needs more thought.  A 'fake'  electric woodstove  (which would be a possibility) would not quite do it IMO.  It really depends on how much you want to have a woodstove in your gh and how big it is and how long you are planning to stay there. Personally speaking, as a lover of wood stoves, I would say if you are planning on staying there for ages, spend the money and do it!  You probably wouldn't regret it.  It would probably be used only on occasion and therefore probably wouldn't do the plants that much harm.....maybe even of some benefit as it would warm things up in the depths of winter.....just maybe.  There would be some residual heat that would carry on after you retired to bed. You'd be doing it for yourselves primarily.  It is important to follow the building regs though as it could be problematical or even dangerous otherwise.  Good luck with the decision. How big is the gh?  

See original post
the greenhouse is 20feet by 10 feet