Forum home Garden design
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Wooden planters, diy or worth the cost

I have my eye on some large wooden planters in a local store. They seem quite expensive and was wondering if anyone else makes their own or has an alternative. I read recently that wooden containers soak up a lot of moisture. Any advice?

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457

My next door neighbour and I made planters from his cast offs when he had a decking fitted.  We thought they looked great (mine didn't look like the above but it did precisely fit the space where a manhole met the patio).  I made the mistake of lining it with some polystyrene type sheet that had been packed around a fridge or something and as it started to degrade and my blooms were blooming, I could do nothing to prevent the compost washing out of the bottom and the wood getting wet.  My neighbour gave me his planter when he changed his garden and he'd lined his with plastic but missed the top of one of the supporting struts which was completely rotten so it is important to get the lining right.  Having said that, I got a good 10+ years out of it and for the cost of some screws and a pot of cuprinol, I was pleased.

• Jesse2501Jesse2501 Posts: 152

Thanks tetley, if I got a few years out of them I'd consider that alright. So I line the sides, what about the base then, lined but with holes?

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,457

We had built the bottom with decking with spaces between of say, a couple of centimetres so when I relined mine with inside out empty compost bags and a staple gun, I primed it with a layer of compost to get it sitting where it would be filled and then sliced small tears in the plastic with a kitchen knife from underneath.  I didn't bother with crocks but then the position was south facing and liable to dry out rather than puddle water.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Thanks ed Im fairly sure I can manage a diy effort thanks For the link

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

I bought two wooden planters this year.  They were already treated but I painted them with cuprinol green paint for extra protection.  They were clear of the floor and the bottom was slated not solid.  They came with a polythene liner.  I cut a few slits in the polythene and put some gravel in the bottom before adding the compost. 

They weren't expensive and had trellis at the back.  I have them on a cobbled section of the garden and can see them from the kitchen window.  Planted with clematis I'm hoping for a better view this year.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

What about this little project? Perfect for Easter hols maybe. 

https://engineeringahome.wordpress.com/2013/07/17/pretty-front-porch-diy-large-cedar-planter-boxes/

Would clematis do well in a planter?

It shouldn't take too much effort ed. Looks like a few screws should do it and a bit of wood glue. Will prob need to cut up the sections carefully though. Might not need massive tech for this one I reckon. 

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Hi Jesse, yes just be careful which variety you pick.  Take a look at Taylors website they have loads for containers.  The one below is called Parisienne and has overwintered beautifully outside and has new growth emerging.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands