2,061 to 2,080 of 2,110 posts

Brick lawn edging

16 Jun 2016 00:29

They certainly make mowing easier and the border doesn't "creep" as there's no edging to be done.

The path to the right is also flush to the lawn. I do run down it with a strimmer as I like a nice clean edge.

At the moment I'm mowing about three times a week. I feed mine with Wilco's lawn food. it's dirt cheap.

I do have my failures. Those photos are four years old.

The almond tree in the centre bed, died, it happens sometimes with grafted trees, we replaced it with this  Salix. The azaleas and rhodos are trying to encroach onto the lawn now, but I'm fighting them back!

Last edited: 16 June 2016 00:29:59

Sin bin purchases

15 Jun 2016 22:08

Thank you!

Sin bin purchases

15 Jun 2016 21:29

Nothing recent. But this was our best ever.

This azalea was in the reduced to clear bin on a stall on Altrincham market over twenty years ago. I think my wife paid 99p for it. It was  in a 4" pot and it had  a split stem. So she put some Sellotape round it and we planted it out in the front garden.

Over the years I've layered it. It must spread now to over 20ft. There's a couple of quite sizeable bits of it in the back garden too.

I've never seen another with blooms like these.

Last edited: 15 June 2016 21:31:21

Golf

15 Jun 2016 21:21

Perhaps you've never seen them, but I remember these cheap little toys for kids.

They were the size of a playing card

A thin plastic box with a clear lid.

Inside there was a picture and several tiny punched out holes in it.

There were several ball bearings under the lid.

It was a test of dexterity. 

You had to maneuver the box to try to get all the ball bearing to roll into the individual holes.

Here's something similar. You can see the ball bearings near the bottom of the case.

What is your weather like?

15 Jun 2016 18:54

Nanny Beach says:

Oh, that golf thing, who said it spoils a good walk?

See original post

It was Mark Twain, but then his handicap was 28.

Last edited: 15 June 2016 18:55:20

Garden With Japanese Influences

15 Jun 2016 18:51

Oldtyke says:

I smiled at the only 90ft! Ours is 20ft! I have just invested in an acer and will take on board your instructions for training them, In fact I was going to ask you that very question. Yours look beautiful.  The one I got is appropriately, for me, named Shiraz! Quite reasonable I thought for 

See original post

Our front garden is quite small.

You have to be very patient with training acers as the branches are quite brittle, but it's surprising how much they will bend given time.

Golf

15 Jun 2016 16:51

B3 says:

I don't know much about golf but I was wondering why your post has come up in blue especially as your story appears to be clean!

See original post

Strange that, innit?

Actually it's a "cut and past" from the post I made on a private board a bit earlier, where I always post in blue.

Last edited: 15 June 2016 16:52:16

Garden With Japanese Influences

15 Jun 2016 16:49

Thanks for your kind words.

We don't serve much tea. But you're welcome to a Peroni, a Budweiser or a choc ice from the little fridge or freezer in the tea house.

There's a lot in our 90ft. A 26ft garage, a 15' X 15'  patio, a 12' X 9' pool, a shed, a second smaller patio  and the tea house.

Doesn't leave a lot of room.

We're fortunate that we are on the inside of a "U" shaped crescent so the house behind ours,  is 180ft away. The houses were built in 1965 and were "dear" at £2,250 as they were well made,  there's no stud partition walls. We didn't buy ours until 1972.

No way would these 100  similar semis have been built this way now,.

"It's always done us." Don't know how we managed with three kids in it, there's only just room for two of us now.

Brick lawn edging

15 Jun 2016 16:22

It's easy enough to do yourself. I did mine, I'm not a "bricky," my job was walking around a big store all day in a sharp suit and highly polished shoes. Principally engaged in chatting to the staff, smoothing down a few feathers that I'd made others ruffle. Oh! and I did the budgets.

Anyway, you'll need a bit of hardcore some fine mix concrete and some sand and cement mortar.

I wouldn't use bricks I'd use block pavers.

Cut  the edge you want to build to, with a sharp edging tool. go down about six or seven  inches and make trough about three or four inches wider than the pavers.

Lay a bit of hard core in the bottom of the trough.

Then some fine mix concrete two or three inches in depth.

Then lay your pavers hard up against the edge of the trough. Tamping them down into the concrete mix, I used the end of a lump hammer.

Use a straight edge or a spirit level, lay it across at least three pavers to get them level.

Then the following day point them up with the mortar, creating a slope up on the garden side.

You can buy all the materials in pre-pack form from Travis Perkins or the like. It's also where I got the pavers.

There you go. I laid all these in a couple of days not working long hours.

I prefer to have "bendy" boarders, it makes the garden look longer.

It certainly cuts down on mowing.

This was still "raw" as I'd only recently done the job, but they weather in nicely.

Last edited: 15 June 2016 16:26:33

Golf

15 Jun 2016 16:00

I thought this was amusing even though I said it myself, but it had my partners in fits.

It might appeal to those of  "a certain age."

Four of us were playing this morning and on one green it was pretty slick.

Putting out was made more difficult as the hole was on a bit of a slope.

Made worse as there was a bit of a "dome" around the hole. This is sometimes caused when a green keeper cuts a new hole. There's a plate around the tool which they stand on when they withdraw the auger, sometimes they don't press down hard enough and as the auger comes out an area of around six inches around the hole becomes slightly raised, not enough to notice but enough to make a slow moving put divert slightly as it reaches the hole.

Anyway we all made a mess of this one, all of us three putting.

As we walked off the green I said, "It would have been easier getting a ball bearing in Mickey Mouse's left ear."

What is your weather like?

15 Jun 2016 15:13

Warm and dry this morning, playing golf. No rain at all.

A pleasant experienced enhanced by the fact that they'd put fertilizer on the greens yesterday and it's seaweed based. So we could "smell the sea," every time we were putting out. Most refreshing.

Setting sleepers

14 Jun 2016 22:26

The weight isn't the problem, what is the problem with sleepers is that they will eventually rot in a garden. Because of the amount of water they will be exposed to over time.

When used for decades under railway lines they are surrounded by ballast which is designed to be quick draining. I'd put a course of loose bricks under them or possibly a bit of hardcore and some fine mix concrete, either way you'd be able to level it off before laying the sleepers..

Last edited: 14 June 2016 22:27:05

Wrong colour fence

14 Jun 2016 18:10

I quite like it. It'll look different with some planting up against it. It'll give your garden a "Mediterranean feel."

Quince fruit forming and then falling

14 Jun 2016 16:50

Can't give you any reasons, but perhaps this might help for next year.

We've three quinces and they all fruit. Have done for years.

Each year I give them a few sprays of what used to be called Dithane, but is now I think called Fruit and Vegetable Disease Control.

No Potting Shed, but I have got a "Den."

14 Jun 2016 12:59

My wife has her own hobbies, decoupage card making and costume jewellery making.

I like to keep busy. I'll be under her feet this week as there will probably be no golf until Friday because of the weather.I subscribe to  several hobby boards.

One is devoted to Yamaha electric pianos. We upload our efforts to "Box" and share them. I've over 150 recordings I've made on there.

Like these. I'll play anything, with a good tune.

Some have pianos costing thousands and are into over-dubbing, and a lot of multi-tracking and editing and worst of all, attempting to sing!

Their efforts must take hours. I can't be bothered with that. I flit from hobby to hobby, so I just play.

Can't help falling in love,.

https://app.box.com/s/bw4tsosvw5qjrqxevoqh

Just a rare bit of double tracking as I like this tune.

Cryin' in the Rain.

https://app.box.com/s/h3ops9jewgvdscvz0qmv

More of my favourite genre, jazz ballads,

I'll Never Smile Again

https://app.box.com/s/br4f6xpjwrpan4v771x5

The Nearness of You.

https://app.box.com/s/37zt7edacmdwtccl9c9repanigfmpjtx

I'll spare you the other 150 or so.

Last edited: 14 June 2016 13:03:41

Fish thieving magpies!

14 Jun 2016 12:30

We have two bird feeders hanging from the pergola outside the lounge French windows. The perches are too small for magpies, but the finches etc., won't come if they hear magpies about.

We have a family of dunnocks that nest in our big conifer and spend time under the azaleas to the side of the patio. They are completely impenetrable from above they are packed so close, but plenty of room under the canopy. We put a small bowl of food under there with a cover to keep it dry. They've been coming there for years, probably the offspring of the original birds.

The blackbirds are always around,  you hear them on every garden YouTube video I've ever made.

They bathe either in the birdbath, or the hedgehog's water dish, several times a day.

Gardening Crafters

14 Jun 2016 11:43

plant pauper says:

You just reminded me doghouse...I do a bit of that as well.  I should have remembered, I'm wearing some of my own creations right now! 

Those walking sticks are something else flyfifer. FG's walking mates'll be after some of that action! 

See original post

Thanks for that.

The cards she makes for the birthdays  of family and friends always reflect their interests, mine tend to be an odd mixture, golf, jukeboxes and saxophones!

We're a family of "projects," this is one our son had. a few years ago. He did most of the work himself with the help of his partner, she made the curtains, (not seen in these early photos 2008,  nor the TV, hub caps and Pioneer stereo).

It came from Utah, imported from Germany in 1967, so left hand drive and no rust.

His partner's brother in-law has a body shop so they did the restoration there. All the modifications, like the reclining seats he removed and got it back to basics, (apart from the new leather upholstery with memory foam interiors).

They've been all over Europe in it every summer holiday, even Switzerland.

His partner's tiny, she can't drive it as her feet won't reach the pedals!

I found a photo with the matching curtains!

Last edited: 14 June 2016 11:49:18

Gardening Crafters

13 Jun 2016 23:57

I've been very impressed by what I've seen on this thread.

I like to think I'm pretty good at garden design and hard landscaping. But my wife is even more talented.

She's been into decoupage card making and costume jewellery making for years

This is just a small selection of what she makes, bracelets,necklaces, ear rings and pendants.

She has endless patience, she'll make something, decide it's not quite right, take it to pieces and start again. A process which could take a few hours, but she was the same when knitting for the kids. The activity helps her with her MS.

My contribution, is buying the jewellery boxes, lots of them!

Last edited: 13 June 2016 23:59:13

Porous watering pipes

13 Jun 2016 21:10

timothy.stroudg says:

Well thank you Riley! You've certainly organised it well. I, in contrast, am metered (I live in France) and am very careful about water usage. This year I have not yet had to water the garden thanks to the continual deluge we have had since January (thank you El Nino) and everything has doubled in size over the spring. Who knows - perhaps I won't even need this leaky pipe this year!

See original post

That reminds me.

On a koi keeping message board, four years ago I started a thread called "Koi's Law." to list all the "Sod's law" problems that beset contributors. Since then, over a hundred people have so far posted about major and minor calamities which have occurred to them and there's been over 11,000 hits.

When I installed my pop-up sprinklers it then didn't stop raining enough for me to need them, for months!

Perhaps we need a thread for "Gardener's Law."

Last edited: 13 June 2016 21:11:52

Nothing to do with gardening

12 Jun 2016 22:49

obelixx says:

I hope you get your flights OK Busy.

Railways on strike again here this week which will affect my daughter's last week of exams and her parents' activities as we have to be taxis.   She can't take a car as there'll be nowhere to park.

I learned to drive with the IMPACT driving school in west London.  Had to love the name.

Last edited: 12 June 2016 22:39:06

See original post

Ah! learning to drive.

I bought my first car at seventeen, drove it around for three months without "L" plates. (In those days the insurance was still valid).

Then took my test and passed first time, never ever having had a lesson.

"My wife often says, it shows!"