21 to 40 of 2,893 posts

New allotment OMG...Part 2...

14 Nov 2017 21:23

Hi you guys. Went to the allotment association meeting this evening. It went well. I'm going to attend the next one.

Juries still out about being more active. I'd like to help develop a sense of community any suggestions you guys...

12 Nov 2017 18:20

I seldom water anything after the initial soaking when planting out. I shall make a note scroggin ๐Ÿ˜€

12 Nov 2017 16:11

My celeriac plants haven't produced any celeriac just lots of healthy looking foilage, suppose there's always next year...๐Ÿ˜Ž

F1 Apache Chilli Pepper

11 Nov 2017 18:24

I've frozen some this yr, they look ok, don't know how long they keep in the freezer...

F1 Apache Chilli Pepper

11 Nov 2017 18:21

I'm drying Apache, mine are a little soft, they haven't dried as well or as quickly this yr. I hang them upside down in the kitchen.

The majority have stayed red as usually but some have gone orange they usually don't go this colour unless they are stored for too long. I've been known to have dried apache chillies stored for up to two yrs ๐Ÿธ

11 Nov 2017 18:04

Carried on laying a path, I've put some steps in as the plot is on a slope. 

Brought a couple of chilli plants home to see if I can over winter them and get an early start next yr 

Went to a local chilli fest and bought some chilli seeds. 

I've loads of veg and flower seeds so will try to be more selective this yr.

09 Nov 2017 06:47

I grew calendula this yr, it seemed to flower for months. I'll be pleased if it's self seeded. 

I get alot of foxglove, it's easily recognised and seedlings take well when transplanted.

05 Nov 2017 14:52

Sounds like you had a productive day scroggin.

I've been laying a path and extended a couple of beds. The strawberry patch was given a tidy and I pulled up alot of runners.

Picked some leeks and more chillies to freeze.

05 Nov 2017 00:02

GWRS I've been growing two pear and two cherry tree's into fans. Didn't get any fruit this year but the cherries were caught by a late frost.

I'd like to try espalier but wouldn't know were to start with the pruning. 

30 Oct 2017 21:27

Gg. I've been invited to the next committee meeting so hopefully that will give me  an idea of what they do.

Whilst I like having the plot I'm not sure I'd like it if I was on the committee,  I haven't committed myself yet .

29 Oct 2017 19:37

GWRS. I've sown some peas in pots but they haven't come up yet. 

I've some onions in modules as a back up but won't plant them out till Spring to replace any which don't get through winter.

29 Oct 2017 18:24

I'm making a bug hotel in the stumpery. It's also a good use for sunflower stems and clumps of roots 

Onions and garlic are looking good with small shoots, shallots haven't started growing yet. 

I've some biennial seedlings In the GH, they are quite small and may not make it to Spring, we shall see.

I was asked if I'd like to be on the committee...juries still out.. 

Pallets

26 Oct 2017 18:57

Good to see how much progress you've made Gg, it will be nice and snug in there when it's finished...

Vic's Allotment Adventures

24 Oct 2017 18:08

What a smart barrow.

Can't get hold of any muck, there hasn't been a delivery to the plot for months, I've been putting off going round local farms but I may need to.

It was wet and wild at the weekend here so I potted up some bulbs and sweet pea.

Happy growing๐Ÿ˜€

19 Oct 2017 21:40

Think I'll wait till the spring to sow broad beans but plan to try peas now. 

18 Oct 2017 06:40

Sounds like a productive day. Gg.

Do you sow your broad beans in the ground?

I have some peas which can sown now...

15 Oct 2017 22:29

Went to plot on Saturday, dug up the dahlia's and wrapped up gladioli bulbs to store for the winter.

I've a glut of green tomatoes, not sure what to do with those.

Your shed will be nice and warm after being insulated Gg.

13 Oct 2017 12:35

I'm hoping to go to plot over the weekend, Sunday looks to be the only day it's not raining...

12 Oct 2017 20:41

Do you have any pics of your plot, Geordiexile62.

Seed catalogues have started dropping through the door for next year. Would recommend the chilli plugs from Simpson seeds, all did well this year despite a couple of the plugs being very small.

Hungarian black matured very early. . 

11 Oct 2017 20:40

GWRS. I have quite alot of different varieties and add to them each yr, would hate to lose them.. 

I'm getting better at storing them too. ..and split them this year to make more plants..