41 to 60 of 2,085 posts

Show us ya Baubles!

04 Jan 2018 13:21

Thanks for that.

In the foreground you can see one of our two hanging baskets.

I drilled three holes in each of two ceramic pot holders and recycled the chains from conventional hanging baskets.

These are suspended on very long chains secured through the upper ceiling to two nogins I fixed between two rafters.

They get  some light from the window on the  landing.

Just an idea which can be easily attempted by  anyone.

Inner Peace

03 Jan 2018 18:10

If you can start the day without caffeine,

If you can always be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,

If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,

If you can eat the same food every day and be grateful for it,

If you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you any time,

If you can take criticism and blame without resentment,

If you can conquer tension without medical help,

If you can relax without alcohol,

If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,

...Then You Are Probably .............................. ..........

The Family Dog!

And you thought I was going to get all spiritual!

Last edited: 03 January 2018 18:11:19

Dismantling Christmas

03 Jan 2018 15:54

josusa47 says:

My late uncle Jack once sent us "McTavish's everlasting greetings card".  Inside was a list of tick boxes: Christmas, birthday, anniversary, condolences, congratulations etc, and an instruction to use soft pencil so it could be erased.  He enclosed a personal message in very small writing, on the edge of a piece of that horrid crunchy toilet paper we used to use.  That card and piece of paper went back and forth between our families for donkey's years. The toilet paper had so many messages we had to start using different colours so you could decipher the latest message.  I never saw another one: the greetings card industry wouldn't shoot itself.  But it's an idea that might be taken up by some of the hobby card-makers.  With or without toilet paper!

See original post

Actually I remember seeing one of those. I don't think they would have made much difference to the card market.

Feeding the birds

03 Jan 2018 12:39

"Rocky" the  robin comes every day  to tell us if the feeders  needs more mealworms. He's the bravest, the blackbirds, dunnocks and blue tits send him.

Last edited: 03 January 2018 12:40:09

Dismantling Christmas

03 Jan 2018 10:47

This is a "sprout-free" message.

I took the lights and  cards down New Year's Day. No Christmas tree, so no chance of finding a few pine needles in odd places in July.

Some friends and relatives say they keep the decoupage cards my wife makes they get sent every year and bring them out again the following Christmas.

She goes through those cards we receive and keeps anything worth cutting out, even something very small if she has an idea where it can be used again on another card next Christmas..

Moving a Camellia

01 Jan 2018 10:33

I've found them pretty resilient, whenever I've moved them. Like cutting an eight foot one down to about a foot, digging it out and planting it somewhere else, due to necessity and at the wrong time of the year!

Anyone done any gardening today - version 3

31 Dec 2017 13:59

Finally got into the garden and cleared pretty much the last of the leaves, (a green bin full) other than those I always blow to the back of the border to leave to rot down.

Pruned two of our five wisterias.

Emails

30 Dec 2017 09:49

Unfortunately, these companies use what I call a "shotgun technique" when it comes to e-mails. (They're bound to "hit" something).  They aren't selective  they just send them to the whole mailing list.

Last edited: 30 December 2017 09:49:43

Show us ya Baubles!

29 Dec 2017 18:13

Impressed with what I've seen on this thread.

Pretty late to the party, my only excuse is that ours are "restrained," we don't bother with a Christmas tree. But at least it's an effort.

Last Job for 2017

26 Dec 2017 14:57

philippa smith2 says:

Fortunately,  "until next year" covers a multitude of sins.  With the more or less endless rain this last week, my list for next year is getting ever longer.

See original post

This is true, it needs to be continuously dry for three days before I will tackle anything else.

Last Job for 2017

26 Dec 2017 12:03

This will be as usual,  the pruning of our five wisterias back to between two and four buds. For many years now, I've done it between Christmas and New Year.

Still some leaves to be gathered, but it's been far too wet, it'll have to wait "until next year."

Last edited: 26 December 2017 12:04:04

Parkside blower

24 Dec 2017 18:55

coates07 says:

Many thanks,  I will investigate soon. When laid on its side it seems to be working OK, but when turned to the normal position while running it switches off.   Maybe a loose connection?

It had been cutting out occasionally during use and would recover after laying it on its side, and would then run for quite a while until cutting out again.

See original post

It could be that, but the internal connections are usually quite secure, it may be that you've pulled the cable and the mains connection inside is a bit loose.

Parkside blower

24 Dec 2017 16:39

Can't offer much advice from the information provided.

However blower/vacs are usually pretty simple. Usually it's just stuff stuck in it somewhere. Over time the bearings in the motor can fail or the fan get damaged by stones it has sucked up.

Most can easily be taken to pieces. Usually just a lot of screws, sometimes of a couple of different sizes. Best to  take it to pieces, well usually two halves,  to check that there's nothing stuck in it. Then try spinning the fan to see if it spins easily without making a racket.

Free coffee and Mince Pies

24 Dec 2017 10:16

Hostafan1 says:

If you have a My Waitrose card ( free ) you can have a free coffee / tea with any purchase , no matter how small , every day .

See original post

"In the old days" you could get a free coffee in a Waitrose café without a purchase if you had a Waitrose card. Then they changed it to you having to buy something. We knew the café manageress well enough due to regular patronage who said all we needed to do was to pay the difference between a regular and a large.

My golf club pro shop has a coin in the slot coffee machine, but they do supply free biscuits. We're in there every time before we play golf to pick up score cards have a coffee and a chat with friends, not just to buy golf stuff..

Ideas for a Small White Themed Garden

23 Dec 2017 10:05

We like white, but think it looks best as a contrast. We've a few azaleas and rhododendrons.....well...lots actually...some white...or mostly white. You can get just white.

Hydrangeas look nice in white. This  was new to us  this year.

turf

22 Dec 2017 10:06

Dogs and grass, particularly with smaller lawns, never mix. You've either got accept the continual damage the dog will do,  or keep the dog out of the garden, there isn't really a workable compromise.

Last edited: 22 December 2017 10:06:44

Garden Hose

18 Dec 2017 20:04

I found winding a hose tiresome, so mine is hung from a hanging basket bracket  screwed 7ft off the  ground on the front of the shed. I fold the hose over it in four long loops.

Same with the cable for the Flymo. The previous one had a cable winder on top and the latest a couple of hooks on the side of the handle you are supposed to wind the cable around. I just chuck it in the collection basket, it never gets tangled that way.

Last edited: 18 December 2017 20:04:54

Musical Versatility

18 Dec 2017 15:53

I watched the ELO "Wembley or Bust" concert on BBC 2 the other night.

I sometimes check out the musicians in programmes like this as they can change from time to time.
The female backing vocalist Melanie Lewis-McDonald is married to to one of the guitarists Milton McDonald. He usually stands on the left at the front.They are regulars in the orchestra.

The cameras frequently focused on the three girls playing strings, the Langley sisters (Amy and Rosie) and Jessica Cox.
Rosie Langley was the violinist who played the intro to "Living Thing,"

Here's Rosie from a concert last year at Glastonbury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ikwriOSqw

Here's the "versatility."

Rosie with two of her other sisters, Edie and Gita. They are from a family of eight children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwjreiZcFBc

Strictly is back!

16 Dec 2017 21:11

You could tell by the expression on the faces of the others that they knew they hadn't won before it was even announced.

Strictly is back!

16 Dec 2017 20:05

You can't beat a good Samba can you?

Louise Rainbow the Strictly Executive Director, or as I call her "The Rainbow Worrier," as it would appear that she's so worried about increasing the ratings that some of the elements has meant the show has for me lost some of its appeal.

If she sees this I don't know what we can expect next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1217&v=yW313inIlFk

Last edited: 16 December 2017 20:08:33