41 to 60 of 2,893 posts

New allotment OMG...Part 2...

11 Oct 2017 19:49

Gg. I thought grass paths was the way to go until the strimmer broke...😟...

I had some flower beds this year but they were mainly annuals and bulbs like, dafs, iris, gladioli and alliums. 

Dahlia's are still doing well but high maintanence, will need to dig them up soon. 

Just potted up some ranunculus...!

11 Oct 2017 08:14

Excellent progress, Caroline. It"s a good plan to get as much done this  side of  Christmas, if the weather turns cold the ground soon freezes.

10 Oct 2017 20:27

Gg. Some parts of my plot are looking a little over grown.

I've some autumn/winter jobs to do. Some will make the plot less high maintance, the stumpery was one, with permanent planting, bulbs and flowers to attract pollinators, ferns to cover the ground.

Was going to extend rubbarb patch with new varieties to extend the season.

I've acquired alot if flagstones so the plan is to make more paths to cut down on grass paths, will be mindful of the wildlife though, I heard grasshoppers last year so will keep some grassy area's.

Some baby frogs hopped out from a pile of decomposing vegetation under plastic at the weekend. 

09 Oct 2017 12:28

My onions were a french variety and as a back purchased a mixed bag from Wilko's. 

I've 30 spare ones which will be planted in modules as a back for any which don't grow or get taken by mice.

09 Oct 2017 00:12

Spent a few hrs on the plot.

I also got in garlic, shallots and onions. Dug up an old rubbarb patch too, and made a stumpery, planted some ferns and bulbs and started a bug hotel.

Vic's Allotment Adventures

07 Oct 2017 18:14

You are ahead of me, haven't planted any onions or garlic yet. I find autumn planted ones do better than Spring planted ones.

07 Oct 2017 17:59

Well done ginagibbs.

06 Oct 2017 22:26

Hope you are feeling better Gg 

Just watched GW, missed the last few.

I'm thinking of moving some fruit trees and bushes. They've been planted  to close together and in the wrong places. They were planted about two to three yrs ago so still young enough me thinks to be replanted.

Chillies & peppers

02 Oct 2017 20:33

They are in an unheated GH, I usually dry them but have only dried ripe one's.

Do green chillies dry ok and keep well?

Improving soil

02 Oct 2017 20:23

If coffee beans deter slugs ..this is  possibly to easy...but could it deter slugs if mixed into the compost before mulching...😎

Chillies & peppers

02 Oct 2017 20:10

I've had an excellent   crop of chillies and peppers, some are still green though is it too late to expect them to ripen?

01 Oct 2017 11:27

It's been a wet weekend,. Lots of clearing and weeding done on the plot between showers.

My pumpkin is turning orange 😀, I grew four varieties, lots of small ones but only two large pumpkins. Summer squash have done well, no butternut squash, although the plants were large and healthy.. .loads of courgettes...

27 Sep 2017 12:32

Hi, Geordie, sounds like you've been bitten by the allotmenteering bug now that you have two plots.

Allotmenteering is a bit like marmite you either love it or loth it.😀

23 Sep 2017 21:10

I brought home a french variety, but when I've tried to translate it, the variety translates as 'straw coloured' , that can't be right...😎...

Today  bought a mixed bag from Wilko's, red and white. The shalotts are 'golden gourmet' and garlic is 'germidour',

I  usually buy garlic from Robinson's home of the mammouth onion but their opening times tend to be seasonal and they aren"t always open on Saturdays...😞

23 Sep 2017 20:08

Bought some onion sets, garlic and shallots for autumn planting. They seemed to do better this year than spring planted one's and were ready a month earlier.

Started to clear spent crops, the plot took a battering from high winds whilst I was away, sun flowers and some gladioli have snapped.

Is it too early to dig up the gladioli bulbs if I leave the leaves attached and dry them in the GH ?

21 Sep 2017 20:53

I had rats in spring. They'd nested in the neighbours shed and were disturbed when he gave up the plot. 

They moved onto my plot so I put down poison and was amazed at how much they ate. You can't put it down though if you get hedgehogs.

I'm fairly good about most creatures but rats are my limit, I would leave my outline in the shed door as I disappear up the road in a cloud of dust if I ever so one up close...😎

21 Sep 2017 12:44

Little zoomer looks to be doing well, Gg.

Must take another pic of the large pumpkin on my plot, it's beginning to turn orange 😀

Decided to call at the plot on the way home yesterday, took home, toms, radish, peppers chillies, beans, kale, courgettes and squash. 

19 Sep 2017 21:39

Been on holiday for a couple of weeks. Going to the plot at the weekend. 

I've bought some french seeds and onion sets. Seeds are sold by weight so there tends to be more seeds in the packets.

04 Sep 2017 21:41

Went to the plot to water.

I've loads of raspberries, they crept up on me. Picked lots of toms, cues and courgettes.

I cut the tops off some sunflowers a few weeks ago, abit like the Chelsea chop, and now have some multi headed sunflowers. A tad bit difficult to cut though as they must be 8 or 9ft high 😁

29 Aug 2017 21:24

Gg. I've some gourds which are spotted and knobbly.

What a lovely Caterpillar shame something so small can cause such damage to plants