61 to 80 of 2,085 posts

Robin

16 Dec 2017 16:34

Fran IOM says:

Beautiful photographs.

I think it's a male as they say the female's feathers look washed out compared to the darker richer colours of the male. She must be camouflaged in order to be safe when incubating her eggs.

Maybe he was hoping for a wildlife programme on the telly...

See original post

We thought it was a male.

Hmm..

He might be looking at the telly, well, with his right eye anyway.

Last edited: 16 December 2017 16:35:05

Robin

16 Dec 2017 15:09

A robin outside sitting on one of the handles of the doors of our French windows just now. There's a bird feeder hanging from a pergola over the back wall of our house.
He/she often sits there. The TV can be seen from there, or maybe it's a bit warmer.
This time long enough for me to go upstairs and find my camera.

Strictly is back!

11 Dec 2017 20:53

star gaze lily says:

I shan't post on here what I'm thinking at the moment, I shall take step back and bite my tongue.

One, because I wouldn't want this thread taken off.....and Two....because I was brought up to respect my elders.....although at times .......

I too record this now and do exactly the same......whizz through the boring stuff and just watch the Dance and judges. It's nowhere near as good as it was in previous years. Maybe it has run it's course.......the 'celebrities' aren't really the same either

Last edited: 11 December 2017 12:02:14

See original post

The expected standard is now so high,  that to progress the contestants have to put in hours and hours of practice.

There's a limit to the number of recognisable  "names" who have naff-all to do between September and Christmas, or who work for the BBC and can get the time off.

The latter are over represented with "presenters" anyway. But they are included as a PR exercise  to enhance their popularity with the viewers, though it had the reverse affect on Gabby Logan (whose husband was more popular with the viewers) and the awful Naga Munchetty. 

Paintings we like

11 Dec 2017 10:14

I like  John Singer Sargent, he could paint "anything."

This is my favourite, it's on my desk top with my icons arranged down both sides.

I've also admired the illustrator, Norman Rockwell. I used to buy the Saturday Evening Post every week when I was in my teens and his illustrations were on the front cover for decades.

I've a big coffee table book of his best work and a smaller one of everything he ever painted and was published.

Last edited: 11 December 2017 10:15:32

Strictly is back!

11 Dec 2017 10:01

Hazel -- says:

OH and I thought we'd tuned into X Factor last night when we saw the opening dance group All modern contemporary dance

I simply cannot  understand why the show features a dance couple when a singer is on. Very distracting.

See original post

Then there's those of us who don't understand  why the show features a singer when a dance couple is on. (Good  performance from Janette and Aljaz by the way).

For a kick off, these singers have to pay the BBC to appear on Strictly. That's why we get some totally unsuitable performers.

The show has little resemblance to the original format. This is due to the changes made by the Executive Producer, Louise Rainbow, who I call "The  Rainbow Worrier," as she seems more concerned about ratings than presenting a "proper" ballroom dance show.

She's been chasing the X-Factor viewers for years now and has been successful in doing that, by turning it into a "Dog and Pony Show."

The introduction of some of the more contemporary music, examples of that were apparent on Saturday night do nothing for me and all the flashing nights and increased screaming by the dumb audience who are told to do it is distracting. The judges have got increasingly unnecessary camp attempting to draw attention to themselves.

For me it's gone from a "must watch," programme to a "must record," then watch later and fast-forward through the annoying bits.

Last edited: 11 December 2017 10:02:50

"The Card Factory"

11 Dec 2017 00:06

Lantana says:

Those are beautiful, your wife is very creative, DHR. Hope you get a nice birthday card every year!

See original post

Thanks for that, I've relayed the messages to her.

My cards usually contain, elements of golf, Japanese koi and saxophones. Not a category for those in a card shop!

"The Card Factory"

10 Dec 2017 21:48

hogweed says:

I make my own cards as well. Don't do decoupage ones because I refuse to pay a small fortune for die cut decoupage bits. Normally I do my Christmas cards in early November but this year left it to last week. My house is a bomb site Just finished tidying up one spare room after the card making frenzy to open the second spare room to the wrapping frenzy!! Thank goodness I can shut the doors on them at night!

See original post

It can be an expensive hobby, but you can create your own decoupage.

For a  lot of the personalised cards, my wife asks me to find certain images. I download them from the internet and print off several copies. I've an old six-colourway Epson Stylus Photo RX620 printer, whch gives excellent results.

Anyone done any gardening today - version 3

10 Dec 2017 17:40

I've spent a few days just looking at it, does that count?

"The Card Factory"

10 Dec 2017 17:39

I think you have to be on the list, it's very exclusive, I'm not sure if even I'm on it.

"The Card Factory"

10 Dec 2017 14:27

Thanks for the kind words. She is mostly housebound these days, but still mobile enough to do things around the house, but she gets tired easily and not very stable on her feet in crowds.

She has two hobbies, (three if you including buying  lots of stuff on shopping channels),  the cards and costume jewellery making, she's good at that too. Most of the year is taken up with these two hobbies, but just a few hours a day. There's lots of birthday cards to make during the  year and she gets a few "commissions," not many, just when a friend or relative wants a card made for a special occasion,. She makes them to include their particular interests. She starts on Christmas in September. Every card is different. She's never had any interest in selling any, or charging anyone for their requests.

Here's an example of some of the detail.

"The Card Factory"

10 Dec 2017 11:13

"and there's more."

"So many to finish, so little time."

"The Card Factory"

10 Dec 2017 11:10

My wife has been into decoupage card making to send to friends and family for decades. Christmas is her busiest time. No CD Roms, no machines, just scissors and a guillotine. The hobby helps with her MS. My contribution is the postage, as each costs a pound to send due to their thickness, but I'm happy to pay it.

Last edited: 10 December 2017 11:10:49

Strictly is back!

10 Dec 2017 00:54

I know the result, as I do each week. So I record Sunday's programme and just watch the pro dancers, as by then everything else for me  is just filler.

Opinion on treading on snails to kill them?

09 Dec 2017 17:26

I pointed stick is enough, same with slugs. That doesn't leave a lot of mess and the birds and the frogs, clear away what's left.

Strictly is back!

09 Dec 2017 16:01

I read somewhere that Gemma weighs 11 stone.  But she is quite tall. She certainly carries it well, as she has what I would call the ideal figure.

Last edited: 09 December 2017 16:01:54

Wisteria where to plant it?

05 Dec 2017 18:47

We've several wisterias, they face South , West and North. They all do as well as each other.

South East facing is the best option. But it isn't essential, put it where you want it.  They are quite resilient and grow rapidly. They need careful training or they'll take over. If you want it to climb, nip of any more than three branches growing from the root.

Make sure it is well supported on the wall. If you have the room grow it over  a pergola.

Last edited: 05 December 2017 18:48:04

base for plastic shed

05 Dec 2017 13:36

If the slabs are level then I think not.

I'd fix the shed to the paving slabs with screws. I don't know what they will supply with the shed, but if nothing,  I'd put  some wooden batons, 2" X 1" would be OK,  over the base rail and screw through both to the slabs, this will avoid a strong wind pulling at any single fixing,  if it's only thin plastic.

I'd then put a bead of silicone round the perimeter of the base, both inside and outside.

Strictly is back!

03 Dec 2017 23:22

Obelixx says:

Wrong people in the dance-off but right one went of those two.

Why do people vote for Molly and the AJ oik?   She's thick and he's horrible.

See original post

I mentioned on another board that Susan's votes would go to Molly  and predicted she wouldn't even be in the dance off this week,  as she has become more endearing to those who vote.  They  probably know little about ballroom dancing. They also don't like Alexandra.

It's still a popularity contest at the moment as it always  is, until it gets really serious.

I can't get that worked up about it, it's just an enjoyable show for me, well much of it is.

I wouldn't disparage any of them, particularly Molly who has put in so many hours of training.

It's only a telly programme.

Last edited: 03 December 2017 23:22:59

Strictly is back!

03 Dec 2017 20:10

I wasn't impressed by Davood's dancing, not that I saw much, I was too distracted by the TV commercial for "gussets."

Anyone done any gardening today - version 3

03 Dec 2017 15:34

Lots more leaves collected, despite how wet everything was. To wet to blow them had to use a brush.

Probably one more collection next week, the last of  the wisteria leaves.

Covered up my more susceptible favourites to protect them from the cold and damp. Not plants, but my two vinyl jukeboxes in our tea-house. Turned the 40watt lamps inside them to 24/7 to ward off any damp.