London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
15 messages
13/07/2013 at 12:06

Hi all. Just a little comment. Summer here, plants blooming, the Bees are hard at it  and with still the Butterflies to come. I am referring to my area where there seems to be many more Bees about this year though mostly Bumbles of various sizes. Either way or whatever its good to see. We have found that some smaller Bumbles have set up home in one of the bird nesting boxes just in the woods next door - much coming and going. Theres a strange thing about this though in that whatever it is there has appeared across the front of the box and half covering the entry hole a white band of something. I am not going to investigate since I believe in leaving well alone - any ideas. Now Hornets - living near woods they are about and occasionally come into the garden for a drink at the pond or whatever they are at. Heres a little question - has anyone ever been "studied" by one - I will explain. I have had on several occasions had just a solo one stop and hover just say 3 or 4 feet away from me at eye level - as if giving me the once over then flying off. Has anyone else ever experienced this - just for interest...

13/07/2013 at 12:11

I think the invasion of nesting boxes is by tree bumbles.

We had a huge hornet (with a yellow face), last year in the house in Spring. We let it go a good distance away.

13/07/2013 at 12:38

Hi. A few pics, the Bees restaurant.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27357.jpg?width=424&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27358.jpg?width=424&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27359.jpg?width=424&height=350&mode=max

13/07/2013 at 13:32

You have a little insect paradise their 

13/07/2013 at 15:50

Hi joules. Thanks. A kind word means so much especially when a great deal of effort has deliberately gone into producing something of benefit to this poor planet of ours  which is being seriously done to death as I see it. Nuff said and  thank you my friend - you keep well.

13/07/2013 at 18:22

Fabulous little garden, it is indeed an oasis for insects. Just on the bee front, I've mentioned on another thread, check out the Bee conservation trust website, very interesting and they do charts and info on a regular basis on what to look for.

Enjoy the weather ... and all you insect friends

13/07/2013 at 18:59

yes, I have had the same experience of being given the once-over by a hornet. Very unnerving. I also once got stung by one while walking through grass. Not an experience I ever want to repeat.

13/07/2013 at 19:42

I love hornets - we had one in the garden last year, on the fennel flowers just outside the kitchen window - I'll swear it was watching me doing the washing up  I dashed out with my camera 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27396.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

Several years ago we were camping near an old oak which had a hornets' nest in it - we lit flares in the evening to keep the mozzies away, but the poor hornets were  drawn inexorably to the flames and immolated themselves - it was so sad to see we doused the flares and shut ourselves in tents and went to sleep, leaving Nature to carry on undisturbed 

13/07/2013 at 20:09

Keen - do you mean hoverflies and not hornets? They regularly 'stop and stare'  - while hovering of course! 

14/07/2013 at 08:23

Hi Fairygirl. I did a few minutes ago reply to this - it appeared on site and now has gone - will try again as near as poss to the original. Hope you are well and hows the "spell" business - set any good Frogs lately?. I am correct in that these are for sure Hornets I refer to but  agree  that as you say the Hoverflies do this "once over" thing also. We get a lot of them ( 2 types mainly) each year and have a job keeping them out of the Lean To which they do love to come and visit - spend a lot of time removing them safely - mostly use the plastic beaker and thin card method ( as with Bees/Butterflies etc). Ref Hornets this area has many many Trees of all kinds and their nests can be seen about ( and avoided for sure).

14/07/2013 at 09:49

Wand's malfunctioning these days - keep asking for some rain to save me from watering but it won't listen ...

I love hoverflies but not had hornets before - not that I'm aware of anyway. Maybe we don't get them up here- does anyone know??  Loads of bees now which is great  and trying to get more planting suitable for all wildlife.

14/07/2013 at 10:48

Hi Fairygirl - all.. If you manage to get that Wand functioning again properly and succeed with your wish for rain please wave it for me here will you. Down to -2 (out of 9) butts full now and beginning to get "fidgety".. Soil here is 50% sand and all the goodly layer of compost I have fed it this season so far has just gone. Good luck with the plants but although they have their preferences I think if it flowers its helping the Bees etc.  A couple of " bits".  I have been taking cuttings every year for ages to keep a very nice variegated leaf Pelargonium and I distribute  a good few each year amongst family/friends. I keep 3 stock plants on the sills in the Lean To and these are right next to the glass, showing their flowers outdoors. You would be  surprised at  just how many Butterflies and Bees come up to that glass to the flowers and look baffled as to why they cannot get at them. Lastly about the young lass wearing the very pretty flower patterned sun hat to which the Butterflies were flying to and landing on. Both true those.

14/07/2013 at 10:58

I've got bees living under my shed,I watched six coming out.I have a lonely bee ,living in the autumn leaves,between my garage and next doors in the gap.The bees that pollinate my flowers,vegetables,and fruit trees are residence of my garden.One day I watched a bee disappear through the grass,and not come out.

14/07/2013 at 11:03

Have frequently had hoverflies and bees landing on me - it's nice when that happens. Not many plants in this garden at all Keen as it's what est. agents like to call 'low maintenance'- they're hilarious aren't they! Gravel, slabs, fences and grass. Loads of clover in the grass so I will be keeping a lot of it in one area - some will disappear when I extend. The front grass will be kept 'tidy' as I think that's important, and I've introduced some planting there too, but the hedging I'll put in will be largely native/wildlife friendly and jaggy - for reasons some posters here know about! We have clay soil here but I always spend time improving it - worth it in the long run as you can grow much more and it thrives well. Don't believe in molly coddling plants and I don't grow things that require a lot of faffing around with - right plant right place is my motto too. Maybe when I eventually retire (in about 20 years!) I'll start collecting Auriculas or something and spend all day primping and preening them! 

14/07/2013 at 12:47

Hi Fairygirl. I am sure that you are going to really enjoy getting that "low maintenance" garden round to your way of seeing things - have fun - cant beat a clean (ish) canvas to start with for sure. As for "faffing" ( a new one that on me but -) around well I feel much the same way about it all - keep a nice tidy ship but at the same time if a plant just ain't for me well theres something else equally good for sure. I love the expression  " an orderly disorderliness"  as a sort of guide  but admit I do like things to look/be right though not "faffily". Had a nice area of self sown Clover in the small piece of grass at last address and it flowered and looked good - green when all the rest was brown as well. Whatever age one may be if the gardening bug is in you it is, all being well, there for life - you might later suddenly develop a liking for huge Gunneras instead  of  Auriculas ( love the gold laced ones of these mind) - that will keep you busy. Regards.

email image
15 messages