Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

christmas tree

10 years ago I bought a little christmas tree in a pot for £6 ,its the best christmas tree but I ever had.I feed it and water all through the year and have just transplanted it to another pot for this year.I also rescued another from outside house that had dumped the tree in hopes the ash bin  men would take it ,a great pity so many people do this to perfectly healthy tree.I took it home after my shift and nursed it back to being loved and also use that tree at Christmas too.Its a crime to chop down so many trees just for a few weeks or throw out rooted trees.I know some are recycled through for example the zoo for what ever,but I cant help thinking what a shame ,what  waste,and yet as well as re-using your saving a fortune.so my two trees will be going on display soon......merry Christmas.image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Brilliant flowering rose! I don't have trees at Christmas as I really don't think a tree should be axed just for 3 weeks of interior decorating. I don't have the patience to keep a tree from year to year. So just make do with baubles on a synthetic conifer swag on the mantelpiece. I bring in the prunings from the Rosemary and the Juniper horizontalis (?) for the scent.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

On the other hand.............

There is a big business in growing christmas tree-now as gardeners we see it as a shame-but it is a bit like animal lovers knocking turkey farmers for growing a bird just to be killed. 

These trees are grown just for that- to be felled and sold in December.

It is just a question of demand.

• Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

This is my Christmas tree, growing in a pot. This photo was taken a couple of weeks ago...

You can certainly keep the same tree in this way for several years. Though if this one grows very much bigger, and it will, I won't have room for it in the house.
  • We have recently freecycled our living potted xmas tree after having enjoyed it for 6 years. It really needed growing on in the ground which was something we personally did not want to do. It went to a good home and now we have a new one which we will keep, potting on each year as required, until it too I hope will find a grateful new  home elsewhere when we are no longer able to accommodate it.

When are those Xmas smileys going to be available? image

• I have been feeding 3 hedgehogs dogmeat since late oct .they have a nest. Near my shed on allotment I am sure they should hibernate before now Dec2nd
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I was thinking of getting a real tree this year and on impulse bought a potted one from Lidl at the weekend for £7.99, it's coffee table size (a little over 2ft) not sure it will stand the cold weather outside at present but was thinking of putting it out after Christmas. If it lasts 10yrs Flowering rose it will be money well spentimage

• lisa69lisa69 Posts: 119

James there is a thread in Nature Garden forum about hedgehogs and hibernation if not there is loads of information available via google, hope this helps

I bought my first real christmas tree this year and its lovely, I potted it up for this year and planned to put it in the garden next year.  I too think it is such a waste, we see many here dumped after xmas but a lot of people tend to buy the ones with no roots so they just get trimmed for a few weeks and then discarded image

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

In the last 4 years we have purhased a christmas tree ,all about 4 to 6 feet ,last year in Cornwall we paid £24 a very nice tree ,this year in Tenby Wales the same tree is £39.99 a complete ripp off if ever i saw one ,so this year we are not playing there game and Kates says she,s going to decorate with holly and branches and things,very soon  now we aim to do our very last move and settle down for good and get a tree with roots, she always wanted one but didnt have a garden so next year  the real macoy it,ll be a tree well spoilt believe me

cheers everybody  Alanimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Alan 4711 I love the idea of someone 'spoiling' a tree; will you be out there tempting it with a little plant food?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

After we moved into this house in 1990 I thought I would only buy Christmas trees with roots, so for the next 5 years I bought a tree each year and planted it in the garden. I live in the country and have over an acre of garden. After that the Garden Centre changed supplier and the trees always died. The 5 trees are now enourmous and blocking the light from other shrubs and trees. I've had to cut off the bottom branches from 3 of them as they were blocking the way to the rest of the garden. If I had a small garden it would be a disaster. I've been told that if ever I need to remove them I would have to get a professional tree surgeon.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.