London (change)
Today 24°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
5 messages
20/05/2013 at 21:36

does anyone no some good dahlias to grow for cut flowers i have got 11 at the at the moment and would love to grow more.

the ones i have got are  pinelands princess,mels orange marmalade,mero star,chocolate and candy,dimond jubilee,cactus mixed,pon pon mix,jane,purple haze,garden wonder,omega,

thanks

20/05/2013 at 22:34

I grow over 100 dahlias in the ground and in pots. All dahlias are, by definition, great cut flowers.  You could choose the varieties with your eyes closed and you wouldn't go far wrong! Go for it and enjoy.

20/05/2013 at 23:01

I had a packet of "giant flowered"dahlia seed last year. I grew about a dozen plants and they flowered all autumn. I used them for cut flowers. I lifted the tubers, overwintered them and replanted in pots when they started shooting. They are now about 6 inch high and ready for planting out. If you want a range,  this is a cheap option to get a lot. unnamed varieties may not be suitable for the show people, but they are great as cut flowers.

21/05/2013 at 10:33

Another reason for cutting is that it stimulates even more flowers, and saves on the deadheading chore.

21/05/2013 at 21:31

thanks for that

email image
5 messages