Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

dahlias

EkayEkay Posts: 6

My dahlias are 3/4years old, and have produced many large tubers, making them difficult to store in trays etc.  Should try to separate them now or wait until spring

• Mr BBMr BB Posts: 21

Hi

I normally divide mine after lifting. That way I can make sure any diseased or rotten tubers are removed and don't go into storage. The only issue with doing it now is that the 'eyes' are harder to see and you ideally want one on each new tuber.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

i agree with the spring seperation.  I have about 200 and I always do them in spring.

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I love the dark ones Verdun, like Arabian Night and Nuit d'  été and Chat Noir, but I have some yellows and oranges too. After a few years of splitting ( and shopping ) the numbers soon  build up.

Devon.
  • EkayEkay Posts: 6

Thanks for all the replies.  Goodness me there are some real dahlia lovers out there.

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Dahlias are fabulous plants. All mine have been flowering since the start of June and show no signs of stopping yet image

The dark Leaf single varieties are my favourite, the dark leaves show off the flower colours immensely 

• I have just dug up my dahlia tubors. Do I wash off the soil around them as there are a few worms still wriggling around them ?