London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
5 messages
01/03/2013 at 12:04

Hi, which bulbs can I plant in a large pot so that I have some coming up throughout  the year, I have already collected some snowdrops, narcissi (dwaft) and cyclamen and wondered what else I can add to ensure a pot that looks pretty all year long?

01/03/2013 at 12:27

A very tough assignment, mainly due to the amount of space in the pot, the dormant bulbs will still be taking up space therefore the ones flowering will not be able to be planted so closely. This is the reason most people plant up pots for spring and then pots for summer, you can simply lift the spring bulbs after they've flowered and the folliage has died back, store them for autumn then plant your summer bulbs in the same pot.

01/03/2013 at 15:03

get plastic pots that fit inside your large one. Plant up one for spring, one for summer etc and drop them into the big pot at the appropriate time

08/03/2013 at 16:57

Thanks guys for the advice and idea's.

08/03/2013 at 17:21

You can have an evergreen in there, like a box ball or a small conifer, for permanent structure, and plant large bulbs deeper than the smaller ones, so that you can get more in the pot. You could get quite a long spring display like this, then  when the bulbs die back plant seasonal plants for summer, removing them when they are over and repacing them with autumn and winter flowerers. If you plant pansies, they will flower for months if you deadhead them, for example. Just make sure that the bulbs are planted deeper than usual and top up the pot with compost when they are over. You'll also have to make sure you feed the plants regularly even if you put in slow-release fertiliser at the beginning.

email image
5 messages