London (change)
Today 14°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
21 to 40 of 59 messages
05/06/2013 at 20:43

yes thats the one mary, i dont think i got it all out this morning because some of the root had gone underneath a shrub i will have to have another go later

05/06/2013 at 21:31

Chinese lanterns; I spent 3 years trying to get them to grow, and then they tried to take over. It took days to dig them out and filled 3 sacks with roots.

Nigella, it self seeds like a maniac, took years to get rid of it.

Welsh or Icelandic or Californian poppies; I don't know which, I allow it but am ruthless about pulling them out if they are getting too invasive.

Cowslips, they get dug up after flowering, I only allow a few to remain.

05/06/2013 at 21:49

What a brilliant thread!!  Funny, but a few of the ones I regret planting (or allowing to live) I am happy to plant in problem areas, for instance Lysimachia punctata (yellow garden loosestrife), which took over the front of my last garden, but I have now planted in shady, stony corner of my current front garden.  It's great there, will brighten up that corner and I don't have to worry about it.  I also know to start digging up any shoots that start to stray from it's allotted area.

Carex pendula (pendulous sedge) was a total thug in my last garden in the sun and I was forever pulling up the self-seeded offspring, and digging up the main plant itself was a nightmare.  But in a shady bed on the other side of the house it gave much needed form and behaved itself.  I'm thinking of planting in my shady border in my current back garden because it is magnificent when fully grown and it doesn't go mad in the shade.

Vinca Major variegata.  Looks lovely, at first.  Now I stamp on it if I see it!

06/06/2013 at 11:01

My Vincas are planted in a hole in the weed suppressing membrane, the white vinca miner is now growing into a sort of fountain out of sheer frustration. The other plant that is very invasive here is Lychnis Coronaria Alba, I've pulled up several this spring.

06/06/2013 at 13:05

I've just been pulling out masses of variegated ground elder, Aegopodium podagraria, it's gone into my 3 fuschia ricartonii. Glyphosate in the spring, again, for next year. Done it before, before the fuschia starts growing - but it always comes back.

08/06/2013 at 23:44
little-ann wrote (see)

"welsh poppy and euphorbia the tall orange one cant think of the name i spent all morning digging it out"

I'm pretty happy with the Welsh Poppy seeding all over my back garden. It's out now and is waving brightly amidst the lush green jungle of veg and fruit trees. Funny how 2 weeks ago things were just starting into life and then a bit of sun and POW!

09/06/2013 at 04:18

I inherited the following which won't stop spreading without glyphosate: vinca major, lily of the valley and some kind of phlox. Also driving me nuts (no pun intended) are the hazel nut seedlings. Don't mind the aquilegias, nigella, forget-me-nots as they're easy to pull out if in the wrong place.

09/06/2013 at 07:51

That's odd Sue, I have a hazel nut and don't get seedlings from it. However, my neighbour's allowed a sycamore seedling to grow . Those seedlings are driving me nuts. Turn your back and another one pops up!

09/06/2013 at 12:28

It's a red hazel, quercus and grows like the klappers, sprouts endlessly from the base as well as sprouting all the nuts I can't find.  Don't have room to let it do it's own thing, so have just let two trunks grow. At the last place where we lived there was a hazel at the end of the garden that was at least 15 meters high and just as wide, but garden was 1000 sq.m., this one is only 500 and the house is in the middle.

09/06/2013 at 13:05

Swiss Sue, borrow a pig, it will find the nuts!

Valerian! it self seeded in my bit of garden outside the fence, and I don't like pink. But I have seen a white version which is quite nice. The original pink version is one of the worst thugs I have ever come across; it will seed in gravel with membrane underneath, between paving stones, in fact anywhere.

09/06/2013 at 13:31

Actually I had forgotten about this one. Clematis My Angel, it is coming up everywhere despite every stem and sign of it being treated with Weed kiiler.

09/06/2013 at 15:34

I have a deep pink valerian that has seeded in my stone terrace, but I love it! Just as well there are plants for every taste

09/06/2013 at 20:48
SwissSue wrote (see)

It's a red hazel, quercus and grows like the klappers, sprouts endlessly from the base as well as sprouting all the nuts I can't find.  

Making a note in my book not to buy a red hazel 

Artjak, I've never seen the attraction of the red/pink Valerian either

09/06/2013 at 21:53

Busy L, keep an eye on it!

10/06/2013 at 10:38

artjak I am so with you on Valerian I spent a long time last year clearing my front garden and still it comes up.  The worst is the neighbours both sides have a bit so I'm always pulling up tiny little seedlings.  It grows to gigantic proportions and the roots have disloged paving stones.  It is pretty (I too love the white version) but if I never saw any again I wouldn't cry.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25200.jpg?width=442&height=515&mode=max

This is my front garden 4 years ago, courtesy of google maps.  As you can, red valerian everywhere!  Unfortunately, due to a change of circumstance, the front only got worse until last year when I cut everything down and weeded out a ton of red valerian, brambles and other assorted delights.  My front now looks like this:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/25204.jpg?width=204&height=350&mode=max

I do love weeding.

10/06/2013 at 13:28

Daisy, it looks very smart now

10/06/2013 at 14:48

When I moved here there were some aquilegia. They looked nice and I noticed they were quite expensive to buy in the garden centre so I thought they must be OK. They are not! They're all over the place and I'm removing them all now.

I bought a horseradish plant from a village fair, and a friend saw it sitting in it's pot on the patio. She told me it goes mad so I panicked and burned it so I didn't have any problems.

I'm glad I read this thread. We need to cover a lot of steep bank with something and were initially thinking of vinca major. Then we heard that was a bit manic so thought vinca minor would be OK. From your experience it seems not. I think we'll now go with plan b) heather. The park home site next door has planted a heap of vinca one-or-the-other. Will have to see if it comes over.

I'm trying hard to cultivate lily of the valley because I love the smell, and we had some where I lived as a kid. That garden was about 12' square though and not in much danger of being inundated. If I do succeed (it's not going well) what am I letting myself in for?

10/06/2013 at 15:20

Thanks artjak, more stuff planted today

10/06/2013 at 17:30

My lily of the valley is quite well behaved. One patch of it is being smothered by the previously mentioned variegated ground elder. The elder is definately winning.

10/06/2013 at 17:32

In a previous house we had a low growing hypericum on a bank, it looked great, but the bank was limited by the drive on one side and a path on the other.

21 to 40 of 59 messages