London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 59 messages
04/06/2013 at 17:20
I expect it will be too late for many who have succumbed to the charms of Schizostylis, the Kaffir Lily, but if you have one in a pot, my advice is to leave it there and don't plant it in the open ground. The flowers are very beautiful and I used to value it as it bloomed in November - but it's run riot through my lavender, paeonies and roses. I filled 4 trugs full of unwanted shoots in February but the roots are very brittle and each bit left behind has grown tentacles, with small rhizomes too. It's worse than couch grass!!!
04/06/2013 at 17:32

It sure am. And even if you buy the lovely white form it soon dies off and you end up with the red one...........................everywhere.

04/06/2013 at 18:17

Yet I struggle to grow that in any shape or form!!

I bought a very nice shrub some years ago, cannot recall its name, it has very divided pinnate leaves and trusses of fine white flowers - and it is a thug par excellance!! I am forever pulling unwanted bits out of the garden,  it has runners that must be yards and yards long.no warning on the label of course, which is long since lost so I can't even tell people what to be warned about. 

04/06/2013 at 18:46

Yes, defiinitely bamboo! Didn't know it was the spreading type and took over the whole of the back of our pond, turned up 5 meters away in the lawn, up drains etc. Took over a year to kill it and are still digging out the roots!

04/06/2013 at 19:01

Variegated ground elder - it just loves my warm, free-draining raised bed.

Tomorrow it's going to have a lovely drink..........of glyphosate!!!

Thanks for the warning about Shizostylis, I've just noticed that there are a lot of smaller leaves round the plant - obviously putting on their running shoes......

04/06/2013 at 20:43
Yes ... they really know how to get us, don't they - hook, line and sinker!

The other FAVOURITE, FAVOURITE, fruit of mine which I've had to eliminate is autumn fruiting raspberry - I'm heartbroken but "Such an easy plant to grow - doesn't need the framework and maintenance that summer varieties do" .... Yeah, right! I think it's in a secret society with bamboo!
In process of re-configuring veggie garden and am opting for summer raspberries instead - swapping one kind of 'maintenance' for another!
KEF
04/06/2013 at 20:57

As a kid my parent's grew raspberries. So:

R on your cornflakes / porridge

R with icecream

R in pies with apple

R on rice pudding

R on a plate

R with every damn thing everyday... as well as having to pick them 

40 years later I don't mind the odd one or two.

04/06/2013 at 21:35

I think the worse thing is looking at a Nursery stall at a Plant Hunter's Fair and seeing things on sale for staggering prices, that I have just spent hours digging up and composting since they are such thugs. I mean Sorbaria Sem or Hieracium maculatum or Anemone japonica or Geranium Roxanne and indeed all its brothers and sisters. I could add a few dozen more to the list too.

04/06/2013 at 21:43

..I caution anyone planting English Bluebells in their garden... once you've got them you'll never get rid... they seed everywhere as might be expected.... a glory of woodland but in small modern town gardens... you'll soon tire of them...they don't look right...

04/06/2013 at 22:11

Crocosmia. Pleasant but gosh it grows. Found it in the lawn, coming up gravel paths, miwed up in pots. Good thing I like the green leaves and yellow-orange 0r red flowers.

04/06/2013 at 22:40

Bronze Fennel. If you grow it for goodness sakes don't let it seed. It's a B******r to get rid of as it has a real thug of a root.

The other one is Carex Comans Bronze. Bought one about 8 yrs ago, still pulling out the offspring.

05/06/2013 at 11:02

I love it when things start to self seed, even my lavender has done so into the gravel path, but some things (like the British rain!), never know when to stop.  My friend has invasion trouble with japanese anemones, yet I really have to care for them to get them to flourish - but lily of the valley, bronze carex, white campanula - these all sow themselves with abandon - everywhere.  Some things like anemone blanda blue I am happy to allow, but others really do make a meal of it. 

05/06/2013 at 13:28

How strange, some of you have plant thugs that die in my garden like schizostylus and crocosmia. Bronze fennel is very well behaved too. I work around the autumn raspberries as they work their way around the veg garden!

But vinca minor - periwinkle, and variegated ground elder are taking over. I've sprayed the ground elder several times and it just grows back.

05/06/2013 at 13:36

Campanula Elizabeth, it's taking over...

05/06/2013 at 13:38

i tend to plant out plants that might be thug in large pots.. it stops them geting out of control.. but hindsite is a wonderful think and wish my nieghbours had done it with their damn perriwinkle.. spreads everywhere onto my side.. for ever pulling and digging it up.

also found that the verbena rigida spreas by sending out long rooters.. mine have run riot in the last 2 years of havin them.. started with 3 plants and each plant each year sends out rooters.. have dug up loads of them and potted them up and sold them at front of garden.

05/06/2013 at 14:13

My campanula Elizabeth died! Wouldn't mind if it had taken over a bit, better than periwinkle, which is hard to pull up.

05/06/2013 at 15:31

One of the worst must be the Welsh poppy.do not let it seed.the roots are long and any left over sprout up again.it likes any situation too! Shade,full Sun.... aargghh

I am tempted to spray next doors plant to stop the cycle.

05/06/2013 at 15:40

welsh poppy and euphorbia the tall orange one cant think of the name i spent all morning digging it out

05/06/2013 at 15:56

I do so agree with the suggestions that have been made How many times have I said 'if only I had known; when plants have become rampant Berghill makes avery apt point when he mentions plant fair sales, I think many are just interested in gettinga sale rather than the performance of a plant Forums like this do help to promote awareness of such things

05/06/2013 at 20:20

little-ann do you mean 'Fireglow'? That is a real thug.

Oddly enough one of my neighbours just asked me for some of my periwinkle. Of course, I said and ran for the digging tools before she changed her mind.

I really like the Welsh poppy. It's all over my garden wall where nothing much else will grow. Other than weeds that is.

1 to 20 of 59 messages