Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

a couple of oddities

nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Can anyone ID a couple of oddities seen on our seed compost/coffee/sticky bun trip yesterday.

The first had very few basal leaves but what there were looked succulent. In an outdoor display but not necessarily hardy. About 5 inches tall at this stage but might not be as tall as it gets

The other was in an indoor display in a darkish site

The pointy leaf on the right in the second photo isn't part of it

Last edited: 29 September 2016 10:22:22

In the sticks near Peterborough

• Species of rosularia? 

H-C

• Had to cheat and look in my dad's Exotica. I think, from that, it's a specie of Orostachys. I'll let you pin it down further!

H-C

• Am I right in thinking those wonderful pink minarets are flowering spikes?  Hope the owner has done some propagating.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I recognise the second plant - there was a huge one at my children's primary school and lots of the children (mine included) brought home rooted cuttings from time to time - can't for the life of me remember what it was called though image  (although the word 'candle' keeps coming to mind)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

The leaves on the second one look like Dichondra. i grew some from seed this year, but they germinated very late and I still have them in pots. Mine have more silvery leaves but that may be because they are in the sun, those are indoors (less light?)

• The plant I'm thinking of had swollen glaucous succulent/cacti type branching stems and from time to time it'd put out the little leaves.  Definitely not hardy.  

• Got it!  Senecio articulatus  aka Candle plant

http://www.glasshouseworks.com/succulents/succulents-s/senecio-articulatus 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

That's good for the second Dove, thank you. The manner of growth in the images I looked at seems right, more so than the dichondra.

I've looked H-C's orostachys, lots of similarities and probably is one of them. I will investigate further

I think the minarets are not quite flowering Dove, though they could have flowered. No sign of anything I recognised as a flower. I looked around for a pot of this with a label on but  nothing.

Not sure re propagating. The place used to be called a nursery, now it's called a garden centre and the difference is right in your face. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Senecio genus is amazing, isn't it? From ragwort and groundsel to the weird succulents and then the shrubby brachyglottis (was senecio) 'Sunshine'.  So much to learn!

H-C