London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
6 messages
03/06/2014 at 18:34

Ok so today was a busy day. I started off having to re lacquer a white floor and I think some of the fumes may have gone to my head. So after lunch I decided to spend the afternoon in the clean air, outside in the garden to clear my head.

While pottering about I came up with a great new way to keep the next door neighbours cats out of a patch that they think is their personal bathroom.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/48052.jpg?width=289&height=350&mode=max

No idea if it will work, but have tried everything else so nothing to lose. I can take the spikes out in a few weeks once they have got out the habit of using this area. No doubt they will find another area to use in the garden.

Ok after that I then sat puzzled for quite a while looking at what should be marigolds that have re-sprouted from last year. Am I just being really silly here. I planted out a load of marigolds last year. I go out to start replanting this year and noticed that there were sprouts at the base of all the old marigold stems, so I left them in the ground and they have grown and grown but not like a marigold at. Would they have grafted them onto a different root stock at the nursery and that is the part that is now growing? seems like a very expensive thing to do if they have?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/48053.jpg?width=289&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/48054.jpg?width=289&height=350&mode=max

After that I took a look at the neighbours power washer that has broken (yes the same neighbour with all the cats I’m trying to keep out the garden) I think the capacitor has gone. When its turned on it makes a humming noise when you pull the handle but the motor does not turn on to pressurise the water. Finally I found a place to buy a new capacitor online but only really taking a guess if that’s the problem. Anyone else had this type of problem?

And then last but not least I decided to make a load of cuttings of plants. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I have no rooting powder but had an urge so had to do it. Also I didn’t want to wrap everything up in their own little plastic bags over the top of them. So I made my own giant cutting bag propagation area.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/48055.jpg?width=289&height=350&mode=max

The bamboo twigs are there to keep the plastic off the leaves.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/48056.jpg?width=289&height=350&mode=max

Again no idea if it will work. I think the fumes from the paint must have given me the inspiration for the growing bag. 34 different pots of cuttings. Mixture of things in there. Would be nice if 1 or 2 things take.

Anyways if you got this far reading I hope you didn’t mind reading my little update of my day in the garden. If you have and tips about the things mentioned please let me know.

Over and Out

03/06/2014 at 18:39

Best tip - hang on to neighbour's pressure washer and aim it permanently at cat's bathroom area 

Nope, marigolds aren't grafted but they are annuals so they only grow for one year.  

The plants in the first pic look as if they could be golden rod - that will grow year after year.  Was there any there last year?

Not sure about the second plant.

Good luck with the cuttings - they'll either take or they won't.  I think your plastic shelter is a good idea - it should help prevent rot setting in. 

Good luck 

03/06/2014 at 18:59

Pressure washers have a habit of the motor seizing up if they are left for a long time without being used. I had a Stihl PW that did this but the end of the motor shaft had a hexagon socket in the end that you could put an Allen key into and work the motor free. Had it for 20 years and was a good tool but eventually the motor burnt out so I have replaced the PW with a new one (same make).

Look for the end of the motor shaft and see if there is some way to turn the rotor to get it moving (or if it's already free to move you will know that's not the problem).

If the capacitor has blown it should be fairly obvious as when they go it's usually with a big flash & bang and the capacitor blows apart leaving a black sooty deposit behind which you will have to ask Sweep to clear up!

As the machine is electrical & pumping water you should have it PAT tested by a qualified electrician after you've looked at it/done anything to it 'cos if anything goes wrong and someone gets hurt guess who the finger will be pointing towards.

John Harding MBLI, Training officer to PUWER Regs 1998 (Provision & Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998)  ...[and passionate gardener!!!]

03/06/2014 at 20:09

Dovefromabove Im pretty sure they are not golden rod as i didn't plant any of that and the ground was pretty bare when i took control of it here. Its really strange as I pulled up some of the old marigolds that were dead twigs above ground but the root system and just at the base of the plant were still alive with buds and have grown into this. I will just leave it and see what happends. I did think it was strange that they are still growing.

John I will have to see if i can get a 7 point screwdriver or whatever it is to take it apart and have a look inside. I would like to just hand it back to her and forget about it. But she has let me use it in the past about a month and a half ago and was working fine. She then has gone to use it since and said it worked for a second and then has stopped (she only speaks French and me only English so its not the easiest of tasks) Its about 7 years old and she says it has tripped her fuse box before when using it. But she is still adamant that I am the one that has broken it. Still i would like to fix it but I am starting to think maybe its best to send it to someone to have a look at it.

03/06/2014 at 20:41

If it is tripping the RCD (Residual Current Device [replaces fuses]) then that is an indication of a serious fault. Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole (as the saying goes) until it has been inspected and tested by a qualified electrician. The very fact of it tripping out the electrics is the warning sign all is not well. From your description I would say it is not a case of the motor seizing up but a serious fault that could kill someone if they decide to plug it into a source not protected by an RCD and try and use it. 

My advice is give it back to her with a label tied to it stating 'Electrical Fault - DO NOT USE'  +   'Une défaillance électrique, ne pas utiliser. (= same statement in French) and tell her you have been advised it MUST be checked out by a qualified person.

03/06/2014 at 20:43

i have some marigolds flowering i pots that i didnt get round to emptying last year

they have been outside and started flowering again about Feb

email image
6 messages