London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
7 messages
06/03/2014 at 22:36

Today proved to be, just what the doctor ordered.  Sunny, warm etc.  So different from what most of us on this tiny island have been confronted with over the past weeks.  As travelling to Kew, by car is such a bore.  I decided to go by train and underground.  Whoopie, it cost me nowt.  My freedom pass says it all.  I caught the 12.27 from Eltham to Victoria.  Then took the tube.  A steady stroll fro Kew Gardens station, then I was there going through Victoria Gate.  A pleasant greeting from a lady at the entrance.  Quick flash of my card.  Thank you sir, enjoy your visit.  I then made a bee line for thePrincess of Wales Conservatory where the annual orchid display was on.  I attended last year, but the schools were on holiday, and it really was too crowded.  Added to which.  I had inadvertently pressed a tiny button on my camera.  All the pictures came out silver coloured.  So I intended this year to get some good piccies.  I intend to put a selection on photobucket.  I will give details later.  I was delighted to exchange some conversation with an elderly lady.  We both agreed.  The display wasn't quite as good as last year.  I strolled the walkways, took my pictures and was home again by 5.15pm  Time now to put my beef joint in the oven for tea.

I do find it strange.  Perhaps you are like me.  When enjoying gardens, parks etc.  Seeing a member of the staff, toiling away.  I often pass some remark like.  You're doing a good job there.  Usually this wil give the worker a brief spell to straighten the back and share a word or two.  However.  I have found that at Kew and Wisley.  Groundstaff seem afraid to engage in conversation.  Surely, the 1984 concept doesn't linger in such surroundings.  Might I ask.  Are there any other members who visit such places as Kew.  Wisley?   I would love to meet up with fellow forum members.  What say you?

06/03/2014 at 22:56

I went to the Orchid festival last year. They were packing up one of the big greenhouses for restoration. A woman was querying why the Rhododendron fragrantissimum had parcels of moss in plastic tied on the stems. The gardener working nearby was studiously ignoring her.  I explained to the lady that it was being air layered, so that if it died when they moved it, they would have a spare to replace it.

About a month later, they showed just that on the TV. My OH commented that somewhere was a lady who was going...Oh I know that.

07/03/2014 at 08:21

Hi Mike, I visit Wisley quite often and like you I have never seen the groundstaff in deep conversation with members of the public.

Thanks for the heads up on Kew, I was thinking of taking my better half as she is a keen photographer but its an expensive and long day so maybe stick to Wisley where we get in free as RHS members.

I do like Kew but its a pain driving there and a long drag on the train from here in Kent.

07/03/2014 at 11:20

I agree with scroggin on this point too. We as a family try to go at different times in the year to see what is growing. We recently went to see the butterflies and I must say that if you wear glasses, take a hanky as it is so humid, your glasses will not demist.

We also went to Kew a few years ago now, and were lucky enough to be given a tour of the Herbarium. It was the first time it had been opened to the public in 20 years. We got to see alot of the samples sent back by Darwin, and the staff could not do enough to answer any questions.

07/03/2014 at 16:18

I was in Hyde Hall today. The sun was bright and warm and it was lovely. The soil is warming up, new buds coming on, even the weeds looks good!!.

08/03/2014 at 18:14

I used to work in the Herbarium, many years ago.

08/03/2014 at 18:30

Fluffy, I was there too, should have posted that I was going.

I've got a thread going with pics.

email image
7 messages