Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

A Shropshire Lad rose

Now that the first flush is almost done, will it flower again?  Do I have to feed it?  What about pruning?  ( I've been removing dead flowers daily)  Actually I have 4 bushes - one at each corner of my pergola.  The one in the ground has flowered its socks off, while the three in large pots have not done nearly as well.  Any advice very welcome. Here's a pic (hopefully) of the one in the ground, taken two weeks ago.

• Hi pansyface, thanks for the tips.  I've looked for buds but can't see any.  Whereas my Wollerton Old Hall roses have loads of new buds in the leaf axils. I would give ASL 8/10 for perfume, in comparison with my Munstead Wood roses which get 10/10.  WOH has a strong perfume which DA describes as like myrrh, but I would call it citrus.  It's a brilliant performer, but I have to say I was  a bit disappointed with the perfume.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

You prune back to a leaf axil , a good 6 inches away from the flowered seed heads, a good feed of rose food well watered in produces the best result, an angled cut is best in the direction you want the new stems to grow.

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

That's a beautiful rose.  I must try and get one of those.