Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

A Very particular rose

Hello,

First time user and (very) amateur gardner looking for advice.

I'm looking for suggestions for a climbing rose or rose type for a free standing frame (2m high) in my south facing garden. After searching various mediums I appear to be looking for the impossible;

A relatively fast climbing rose, minimally thorny, evergreen and very fragrant. I also prefer smaller flower heads!

Suggestions would be welcomed. Many thanks

Daniel

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

This is what I came up with after searching Peter Beales site.

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/goldfinch/

I don't think any rose is really evergreen. You don't give a colour.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • New Dawn, is a pale pink climber, and small flowers compared to most roses.

Do you have a particular colour in mind,  there is also one called iceberg,  another called marigold and one called Handle all with smallish flowers

David Austen do good roses

• allium2allium2 Posts: 413

Try having a look at www.Handley rose nurseries.co.UK.  They have nice descriptions of their climbers and whether its fragrant. Zephirine Drouhin is thornless, fragrant, small blooms.

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

I have a zephirine drouhin and it really is fragrant and seems to tick all your boxes

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Tried the David Austin website? A few there might suit you.

• Isn't Zephirine Drouhin the rose that gets every disease under the sun though ? !!

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

A Shropshire Lad Climbing/ David Austin roses.

Blush Noisette 

Crown Princess Margareta 

all from David austin, excellent quality and reliable performers

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I love David Austin roses, but most have big flowers. I have A Shropshire Lad, it's lovely, hardly any thorns, but the flowers are big.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Thanks for all your responses image

Ive looked through many of the suggestions and ended up with something! I'm inclined towards a Lykkefund Multiflora, although its described as a rambler I am presuming it can be trained upwards,  the scent appears to be strong, its hardy, the flowers are the right size (small) and I like the colour.

Would anyone have any experience or opinion on this Rose.

I looked at the Zephirine Drouhin, but indeed the flowers are larger than I would like.

Many thanks again. Daniel

• Reine des violettes, medium sized blooms but beautiful colour and mostly thornless.