London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 20°C
17 messages
31/05/2014 at 14:18

Hi all,  Just wondering who else has ventured outside this morning to discover a veritable jungle has developed in their garden over the last week?  It has rained more or less constantly here for the last week and was just too sodden to attempt any serious planting when I got home from work each day so, apart from a bit of weeding (as those were easy to pull from the wet soil) I it has been left to it's own devices..  I have a GH full of plants which are now screaming to be put into the borders etc but due to the rapid growth in the last week, you've guessed it,  there isn't any room!  Looks like a fair few sacrifices will have to be made.

I've decided to dig up and replace every bluebell (all now crosses anyway) and Welsh poppy I see to make a start.

At least at the end of the day I'll be able to re-fill the compost heaps make a few gallons of Comfrey liquid feed (that has grown from 1ft to 4ft!)

To be honest, this happens every year so I don't really know why I'm still surprised when it happens!

31/05/2014 at 14:22

Mine tipped over to jungle about this time last year Bob and I see no sign of improvement

31/05/2014 at 14:32

It rained non stop here until Thursday when it thankfully stopped for our local community fun day which was a great day. By Wednesday afternoon I was a little fed up having watched my peonies and roses take a battering and must make a mental note to ensure that supports are in place next year! However, a trip to Wisley and a few new plants ready to plant has lifted my mood no end. After two years the back garden is now getting pretty full. Having a nice cuppa out in the garden with my lovely wife before motivating myself to cut the grass!

31/05/2014 at 14:32

No problem nut, so we just call them wildlife gardens and be done with it!

I must admit it looks very healthy and is a treat for the eyes.  Maybe I'll just throw all the GH plants on the compost heap instead - a lot less work!

31/05/2014 at 14:33

I am also a jungle slayer, my lawn has a life of it's own at the moment, I don't remember such rapid growth. I expect to be very sore and very happy by 8pm this evening, my family on the other hand will be starving!

31/05/2014 at 14:39

Sara, gently remind them that they've not starving - just a little hungry!

31/05/2014 at 14:57

Same here in Sheffield, the growth is amazing, but does look rather jungleish if there is such a word !  The grass is far too wet to cut just yet, will need a few days of dry weather to dry out, but it does look very lush i must say.  No sun today just cloudy and breezy, cant bring myself to get stuck in yet, and the hose is full of plants that need hardening off (my pet hate) and then planting out !  I wonder if i leave it until its sunny and will be end of May to plant straight out without hardening off would work ?

31/05/2014 at 15:06

..I think if you have a large grassy area, which has to remain uncut for too long..then it can make the garden look jungly.... those of us without grass, maybe less so...I suppose paving and gravel have their merits...

31/05/2014 at 15:18

Bluebells?  Yes, I dig them up too. Not a normal garden plant for me 

Rain?  I know lots of you....and many parts of Cornwall too....have had lots of rain. Here it's been mostly dry and very warm.  Today it is boiling   A couple of days where it's rained but mostly I've been sweat......er,,perspiring dont you know   

Just cut the lawns, sounds grand but one at front and one at back (which has just been comandeered for sunbathing and an ice cream has been pinched ).  Potted on some small agastaches.....by and large mpc's don't seem to encourage much growth unless plants are fed too......

Got a hedge to cut now or should I have a lager.  Decisions, decisions, decisions 

31/05/2014 at 15:32

oh yes bob, weve had rain every day this week, and yesterday when it stopped I had to take my nephew and his girlfriend to stratford upon avon,lovely day, but I was itching to get on my garden!

the hedge has truly gone mad, and not helped by my neighbour(again)hacking at it as she does every year but this year,shes hacked it down to about 4foot. I have no desire to look into her flea pit of a garden, so hubby has trimmed the top down but not that low!

ive put some bedding plants in,ive decided today was the day,they were getting so pot bound,lets hope there are no sudden frost!(fleece at the ready in case)

happy gardening!

31/05/2014 at 16:33

Hi Gillian w're Sheffield too, 1st time today I've been out for over a week, garden is definitely jungle, can' t see half smaller things I've planted for 4foot high geraniums and peonies, felt like I ought to takemymobile with me..and our garden is tiny!!

31/05/2014 at 16:37

Ps Gillian I agree hardening off is a pita, I' m pretty new to gardening so have only ever done it with sweet peas, but I love those so much I' m prepared to put in a bit of effort! Got a tiny zip up grand planning to plant lots more from seed so I'll have to do more, though I'llneverremember with 2little ones to run round after!

31/05/2014 at 18:29

It was toasting hot here this morning. In Scotland! I went out to do some work in the garden and had to come in after an hour and a half as I could not cope with the heat. Fortunately it clouded over about 2ish so went back out to continue. But blimey, Scotland has sun! Sun is out now again and it is a lovely evening. May go out and plant some seeds!

KEF
31/05/2014 at 18:37

hogweed glad you had some sun, I know you don't often get it this time of year in your area, enjoy  From a dull and damp S.Yorks

31/05/2014 at 19:31

Sun last week too in the Firth of Clyde and adjacent Hebrides.  I think the weather man must've made a mistake.

31/05/2014 at 20:29

Poured down here in Birmingham for 6 days constantly. I was close to building an ark

been in my garden today and the growth that plants have grown is quote incredible.

But with the rain comes an army of slugs that have nibbled at hosta's and even bedding plants

Question for you all - I have planted up some surfinas's in pots on the patio area. They have grown well with the weather but for some reason some small birds are ripping in to flowers heads. I am assuming this is for the nests, but it still seem strange 

Has anybody else experienced this with surfina's ?

01/06/2014 at 17:42

Hi Rosemummy, i managed to get some of my plants in today, hope they survive with no hardening off. I put in some Cosmos Dwarf ones and some Calendula Art Shades and some trailing Bidens, just cut around the edges of my small lawn for now, pulled out the Aquilegias that i do not want to self seed and left the others, now having a break for today

Would put some pics on, but not sure how to do it on here.

I am on the english rose forum too, if you are into roses its a good site, to learn stuff !

email image
17 messages