London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
8 messages
22/03/2013 at 09:04

Morning everyone, snow here in the East Midlands again - where is Spring?

I'm growing some Abutilon from seed this year and would like to keep one or two of them as houseplants. Will they thrive and flower indoors?

I also planted some Fatsia seeds several weeks ago which haven't germinated, should I give up or does anyone have ways of waking stubborn seeds?

23/03/2013 at 10:04

Thanks Brumball, they have spent time in the airing cupboard but then I wondered if they needed

light. Abutilons are showing signs of life but I'll put the Fatsia back in the dark and warm and hope for the best.

23/03/2013 at 11:08

Ihave an abutilon in the house which I grew from seed outside last summer, but I brought it indoors in Autumn.  It is bushy and about 14 inches high now, and I hope for flowers later on.

23/03/2013 at 12:50

Hi Jayne,

Did you get any flowers last year?

grannycool

31/03/2013 at 11:09

Brumball, I'm not sure where your replies have disappeared too, but thought I would let you know that a couple of my Fatsia have germinated after a few days back in the airing cupboard. I'm hoping that a few more might appear over the next few days.

12/04/2014 at 10:25

Hello sorry I must have overlooked my notification of a reply.  My friend gave me a lovely fatsia  some years back.  They are quite exotic looking!  But yes, I did have some flowers on the Abutilon last year on both a blue one and a peach one.  One has died during this winter, but not sure which until the remaining one flowers later on.  Thanks for reply.

12/04/2014 at 17:04

Quite a large family are these.  Best grown in a greenhouse, either from seeds or cuttings.  Take cuttings between May and August, of lateral shoots 3-4 inches long. Place in an equal volume of peat and sharp sand. If cared for, most will live for years.  Pot-on yearly.  Abutilon are often used as 'Dot' plants in beds and borders.  When growing from seed.  There is no veed to start them off in the dark.  A temp of around15-18 deg C

Hope this helps.

13/04/2014 at 08:56

Hi Mike, thanks for this.  I have taken a few cuttings and had success with a couple of them in a cooler part of the house.  I do like them.  What do you do with yours in winter, as I am told they are not hardy?  Mine are in a cool place in the house over winter, as my greenhouse got badly damaged in the storm this year!

email image
8 messages